Premier Stinger Clutch on a LO206

MikeMartz

I am trying to put together a LO206 package for our oldest son and I am having a problem mounting a Premier Stinger clutch on a new LO206. I have the shoulder washer in-place and facing the correct direction. The B-S video says to use a flat washer and have no end play. The only hardware (besides the key, bolt and lock washer) that came with the clutch is a 2-step spacer/washer that is too deep for this installation. When I use it, there is 4-5 mm of end play. I tried using a flat washer but when I tightened the bolt, the flat washer deformed. I did use a small battery-powered torque wrench as I don't have the strap B-S recommends to hold the flywheel.
So is the problem that I over-torqued the bolt and this is the proper process or I need to find a thicker (stronger) flat-washer? Or is there something I am missing? I have worked on race cars for over 40 years and the correct answer is the correct size 2-step spacer/washer but I really don't want to have to machine one if not necessary.

Thanks,
Mike

There are washers available that usually come with Stinger and Titan clutches that are machined with a chamfer ( spelling?) that accommodates the radius on the crank. I use one between crank and clutch and one on the stepped washer. this gives me about .060 free play and I find that easy to live with. If you want it tight add another washer on the stepped washer. Be sure to use the washer crank before the clutch. Very important if you have the driver on the inside and want the clutch tight. A tight clutch set-up without the washer will allow the radius on the crank to crack the Stinger clutch hub. I'm aftaid I may have made this spund more complicated than it is. Read instructions that came with clutch.

You guessed it. You will need a shim to take up the space between the crank and end of clutch before the outer washer, or remachine the 2 step washer. hand file should remove 4mm quickly.

flattop1

flattop1 - Thanks! That is what I figured.

Flash-o-matic - Thanks but I have the chamfered washer in-place and facing the correct direction and am running the clutch in-board. As flattop1 mentions, there is just about 4mm between the end of the crank and the back of the clutch that needs accounting for.

Back