prepping the track.

sammy6y

West Coast track, clay needs to be replaced so it's mixed in with dirt. To me it seems they put way to much water on it and the track pumps like crazy and gets BIG ruts and hole in it. But they also pack the track in with a vehicle with wide sprint car tires. I may be wrong but doesn't the wide tire like this just float across the track and by distributing the weight wider your not packing it as well as a narrower tire. And I don't think driving fast and getting sideways in the turns help. What is everyone's take on wider vs. narrow tire.

Most likely trying to pack when it's too wet. I used a little Gimmy with slicks and tried to pack after the track dried down. Drive slow and start from the outside in. If you do it when it's too wet it will pick up clumps of dirt and it will end up a washboard. Pack it in. Mist the track then pack more then get the karts out on it and let them run it in.

Wider is Better for sure, as mentioned just sounds like they have it to wet have them cut back on moisture then run it in get it packed good then give it a quick spray run it in again until the shine leaves as soon as that happens get the run in vehicle off and get karts on it top to bottom and seal it good.

Good Luck !!

I'v seen it done as Ken describes above for years, and he's right - it's the way to go for anything from karts to 410 sprints. FWIW, as far as wide tires go, the best packer vehicle I ever saw for quick packing without sacrificing track surface quality was about 25 years ago when one of the big car tracks I attend took an old watering truck, cut the top half of the tank off and loaded what was left part way with track clay (doubled as a clay source for quick divit repairs, too, lol - they kept a shovel back there, just in case) and put monster truck tires on all 4 corners. That baby could ROLL some moisture into a track surface with a vengeance and leave it smooth as a baby's behind, but it eventually wore out beyond repair and was never replaced.

Your Theory of Narrower packing harder would be correct, however it picks up quicker and more and then does not smooth it out as well.

Listen to Ken (racing promoter). This dude can prep a track like no one else! I had the pleasure of his company on his surface 2 years ago with my UAS kart. We were 3 hours from home and the track we were scheduled to race canceled due to extreme rain. I called Ken and he said he would race. We showed up and I thought we were through. Hour and half or so later, I saw one of the fastest 1/8th mile tracks I've ever seen and there wasn't a bump in the joint! And I could put my kart anywhere on the track at any point in time. There's a lot to be said for that!! See you again this season Ken!!

Listen to Ken (racing promoter). This dude can prep a track like no one else! I had the pleasure of his company on his surface 2 years ago with my UAS kart. We were 3 hours from home and the track we were scheduled to race canceled due to extreme rain. I called Ken and he said he would race. We showed up and I thought we were through. Hour and half or so later, I saw one of the fastest 1/8th mile tracks I've ever seen and there wasn't a bump in the joint! And I could put my kart anywhere on the track at any point in time. There's a lot to be said for that!! See you again this season Ken!!

Ya July will be here before we know can't wait to see a whole group of you guy's chase each other around there, then you guy's need to come back Aug 29th for Race for a Cause day race then you'll experience FAST 8 sec bracket for Sr Clones and Animals two years ago Flatheads were still 9.0 at 11 pm. See Ya Soon Good Luck at Flatrun.

Back