proper chain maintenance and life expectancy

ron07

What type lubricant, what brand chain, and what weekly maintenance are suggested. We run dirt ovals on a 35 chain. Clone stock classes.

i clean and dry chain apply chain lube from prc which dries to a white powder prob teflon or something wet oils on a chain attract dirt which isnt good
a chain usually lasts all year

Aerosol brake cleaner cleans the chain fine or you can do it the old fashioned way and put the chain in a small saucepan and clean it with any convenient solvent - varsol, mineral spirits, acetone or even gasoline (like motorcyclists had to do 50 and more years ago); in any case, hang it somewhere to dry, which takes only a few seconds with spray brake cleaner. WD40 will also work as a cleaner in a pinch. The motorcycle industry revolutionized chain maintenance many years ago with the introduction of aerosol chain lubes - get a spray can of that stuff, follow the directions and never look back - the big deal with any of them, as brittainracing pointed out, is that they go on very thin and penetrate, then dry to a coating that doesn't attract dirt in a very short time.

Chain comes from the factory pre greased and pre stretched!! I don't think it matters how you clean it, I use kerosene, any thing will do. Wipe it off,
you are supposed to use a lint free rag, paper towels will do. I put a saucepan on the grill and heat up Grease till it is liquid. Put the chain in saucepan for 10 minutes
or so, turn it off and retrieve later. The rollers on a chain are nothing more or less than plain bearings, you must get the lubricant inside the chain.

Spraying the chain with tri flow or anything else does nothing, the rollers must be lubricated.

Richard King

i

Chain comes from the factory pre greased and pre stretched!! I don't think it matters how you clean it, I use kerosene, any thing will do. Wipe it off,
you are supposed to use a lint free rag, paper towels will do. I put a saucepan on the grill and heat up Grease till it is liquid. Put the chain in saucepan for 10 minutes
or so, turn it off and retrieve later. The rollers on a chain are nothing more or less than plain bearings, you must get the lubricant inside the chain.

Spraying the chain with tri flow or anything else does nothing, the rollers must be lubricated.

Richard King

i

wrong on the tri flow part,

Richard King

i

What exactly do you think tri flow is, a cleaner? try telling that to 90% of the karting world and see how many laugh. They also dont come lubed, that crap you see on them is a wax that is a preservative and must be cleaned off before using the chain

We had our best results using Tri-Flo for all types of kart racing. One important thing to remember: always lube the outsides of the chain, not the middle. The lube is needed to insure the contact area of the plates to the middle section run as free as possible.

Back