question about teching air filters

mnkartracing

The last two races my son has won, he picked a chip and they teched the air filters. They have me take it off, and look in the filter and in the carb.

Dumb question is what are they looking for? We've passed both times, I just purchase the off the shelf animal filters.

Thanks

Could have the "backside" of the filter coated with let's say clear spray paint or
aluminum insert i.e. a cut piece of a soda can etc that would create a air-ram effect...

Ask your tech guy next time what he is looking for.
A number of substances (some oxygenators and flammables) can be added to the inside of an air filter. Any open ends, velocity inserts, who knows what all.
Could it be that they are wanting to check the carb (ie easily seen modifications to the carb bore, venturi, etc) with the air filter off?
Sounds like the track is pretty relaxed on tech if just the "air filter" is one of the random tech-able items for a class.
I know some tech is better than none, but I'd be asking some questions -- your tech man should be glad to answer any questions or concerns you might have.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
27 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Could have the "backside" of the filter coated with let's say clear spray paint or
aluminum insert i.e. a cut piece of a soda can etc that would create a air-ram effect...

Does this really help? We race in a "stock appearing" class. I'd stick a soda can shield inside the filter if that would give me even .0000001 more HP !

I have no idea regarding any performance improvement.

Just answering what the techman might be looking for.

Usually looking for holes in the filter, under the sock or outerwear. In plate classes, probably wouldn't gain you anything, but possible in adult classes.

Can anyone help me out what class is this cart and any inputs about it like is it a good cart and anything else u can tell by pic thank you

Back