Question for No Goats ... :)

paulkish

old fart
Hi, for the zillionith time I again downloaded your setup sheets so I would have a set without anything missed on them.

I thought about them again because I was thinking of starting a thread to learn how folks adjusted cross(higher or lower and where), to fix specific on track problems. I started the thread and then deleted it figuring it was already covered in your setup sheets. But that's the why and not the reason for this question, I may start the thread anyway later.

I see Kris Larson has the credit for the Grid Format sheets 1-4. Sheet 4 has two entries, one is titled "Right front (in charge of turning)" and the other is "Right rear (in charge of rotation)".

I see and agree with what will happen if you do what's stated in each. Here's my question. Does "Right front (in charge of turning)" title, suggest or relate to a setup where turning ability is dictated mainly by unloading the LR? And does "Right rear (in charge of rotation)", suggest turning ability is dictated (or at least enhanced) by my general BS about how a staggered solid axle works. Simply put you need to get the RR to out accelerate the LR coming off and get the RR to roll around the LR slowing down going in ?

Sure I'm hoping for a yes. ... :)

But I'm not sure I'll get a yes. And if not, then this is to ask what is the difference between "Right front (in charge of turning)" and "Right rear (in charge of rotation)" ?

Thanks and I hope it's OK and my asking isn't a problem. I'm not trying to start some gigantic debate so I can throw more bull out there. I asked to be able understand the difference between the two.

I'd post this as a question to Kris, but I don't know if he reads on here. I figure he does, but don't know and it looks like your as addicted here as I am.

paul

ps, thank you for the sheets, there the thing everyone wants and dreams about, but most like me are too lazy, ain't got the stick to it or are too poorly skilled to do it. ... :)

You will get different answers. Peoples opinions are not all the same when it comes to the "why" they tune with cross.

I can't answer yes or no, but I feel honored that you think I would actually know. When I started the sheets there were a few smart guys on here like Randy Major, Todd Godwin, Mike M. and others who had different ways of explaining things. I was my own crew chief at the races and I didn't have time to try a lot of different things to make changes. I also didn't know what I was doing or how to do it. So I took what each of the smart guys were saying and put it in a list I could use at the track. What I have listed and what Kris has added to it may or may not be correct. All it does for me is help me pick the easiest thing to do to change whatever problem I'm trying to solve. I decided to share it with others who were challenged like I was. I hope it helps someone.

Thank you for the answer and the sheets. I understand and your answer takes care of my curiosity about it.

thanks again
paul

Hi Paul-
I really don't have anything further to add. I simply took the information and put it into a format that works for me. I've only got a little over a year of experience racing karts so I'm relying upon a lot of great people to help me out. I'm seeking to understand but at this point, I'm simply trying to survive!

Hi Paul-
I really don't have anything further to add.

and I don't have anything to add either. thank you very much for the information

paul

Back