Questions about the header

Hi all, let me preface that I'm both new to Lo206 and new to champ karts. Ran my first race today, I used the spec pipe, but was getting a lot of heat on my shoulder and got a burn. I adjust the motor and the seat, but was still getting a good amount of heat even 5" away. Now, I did see a number of karts also in the 206 division with an exhaust pipe that went straight back instead of curving behind the seat-- are these legal according to the Briggs rules? I plan on running a few tracks this season and don't want to invest in a different header if it wont be allowed elsewhere. And if anyone has any tips for avoiding heat on the shoulders, I'd also appreciate that.
Thanks!

Two headers are legal. The curve behind the seat you describe is an RLV 5507. The candy cane type that exits behind the engine and straight down is a 5506. Both are legal. Most run the 5507 in flat karts. Sounds like you would benefit from the 5506. You can look up pics to see what each looks like.

^ Spot on.
Most champ karts run the 5506 (mostly for clearance issues with the seat belt bar) but you can run either pipe.
Pipe MUST be wrapped - that should help some with the heat issues -- also make sure that you don't have an ex. gasket or head gasket leak -- both will make tremendous heat on your right elbow.

If you need header wrap, we just happen to have it on sale this week. :)
Anything else that we can help with the LO206, please don't hesitate to call on us.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

There are chain guards that have an extension that goes up to help prevent just what you are describing.
The other option would be to make a plate that you could bolt on between the existing chain guard and go up high enough to protect you. Or you could weld it to the existing chain guard.
Make sure you have header wrap or a header sleeve over the pipe.
Do not put excessive wrap on the pipe. Do not extend the wrap all the way down to the header flange.
Briggs recommends keeping the wrap 3 " away from the header flange so heat can escape from the head through the pipe.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I didn't realize that the 5506 did not wrap around the seat. This will certainly make my situation much better. And yes, I do have the header wrapped as recommended, Jim.

I appreciate all the help,

Dylan

Back