questions about trying to start my own race series

jdkart3

im trying to get some info on getting a race started i have access to a track and the people to run it need to still clear it with the city need to round up sponsors for class payouts and have done some basic math to see what entry would have to be make insurance and pay the workers now what have a missed can any race promoters give me some advise tell me if im getting what i need to make this work thanks

I gess no ones willing to help im not looking to step on anyones toes im just trying to get good racing in the state

best way that i can think of to get things rolling is to give the racers a 100 percent payback (minus operating/insurance costs) on the first couple of races and see where you land.....as far as track workers....i would let everyone know that you need help and that the first couple of races would be nothing more than getting them in the gate free....maybe offer a hotdog and co-cola!....every track had start up issues and growing pains. the best bet is to ask the racers that your wanting to race at the new track an opportunity to have thier say in getting it rolling. i'd shcedule a couple of races, maybe 3 to 4 weeks apart so that you can get the word out and get something lined up.

first things first tho...get it insurance lined up and what your going to do (race schedule for the first race)...anything else that might be needed like ambulance services set up in case you have to call, getting at least one person with fire fighting experience for safety, opening and closing times, what your requiring the karts to have like mufflers....all of this needs to be done BEFORE you hit up the city council.....go right along with this and talk to various part stores, car lots, etc....asking about ponying up a few bucks in exchange for advertising....

i know that some on here are racing promoters and when your asking them, specially about sponsoring dollars, some feel like your trying to take racers away from them....so be it, if that's the case......offer a good rules package, a good tech program, a good flagman and a decent track and racers will come!

thats about all that i can think of right now.....

The biggest thing is insurance, medical personel or ambulance on site, and scoring system. You need to have your track plan approved by insurance with barriers around obstacles and such.
I tried this a few years back with a large overflow lot at the local mall. I actually got approval but the management company sold out to another one that wanted WAY too much for renting the lot.
What I did was I used google earth shots, scaled them and added dimensions, and drew a track layout in black marker on them. Then took a bunch of photo's of any obstacles(light poles, curbs, drain grates, etc), and noted them on the drawing with an arrow the direction I was viewing. "Picture A", arrow towards light pole, for example. This was for asphalt sprint. They may come back and want you to add a wiggle here, or tighten up a turn there, to slow speeds down near a threatening obstacle but they will work with you.
If you are a certain time/distance away from a hospital, an ambulance is likely required to be on site during the races. If it's close enough to the hospital, a certified doctor or nurse may do.
Lastly, most scoring systems are stupid expensive, to the point where it's prohibitive to set up a track unfortunately. I know there are other options feel free to explore them, but this is if you want to accommodate AMB/Mylaps.

You just need to hook up with an Insurance Co ( NKA YOU WILL FIND ON HOME PAGE ) get your application in and Approved, make sure you understand what your getting it's basically liability, $5000 to $25,000 is availible for medical however that is a RIDER POLICY for the uninsured or if there insurance does not cover something, That will cost you around $4.00 per pass Min 100, then put your program together what classes, Rules package, Tire Policy, Hand scoring is fine as long as ya have good scorers, To start don't try to do any bigger purses cap it at like $200 or $250 to Win, common entry fee for that would be $25 to $35 basically pay back 1 spot for every 3 entries, Do yourself a budget, If you could get sponsors for the winning purse that allows you nice payouts with 80% back through out the field, Then advertise dates and go with it, Heads up on your HELP Consistancy, Consistancy, is a must. Make sure Volunteers and sponsors are not looking for any special treatment in return, it is what it is for everyone.

Good Luck !!

heres another thought....hit a potential sponsor for the race with "sponsorship in kind" sort of thing........like going to the local jiffy lube and talking with the manager about an oil change for the feature winner and maybe a $10 off coupon for the second and third place finishers....anything will do...most sponsors will look at how long the track has been running and what kind of turn out that you have. some will shy away when you talk money, but they might be more receptive to something that won't take money out of there pocket.

i'm not saying that anyone will offer you a few bucks or a oil change, but it never hurts to hit them up for prizes to make up a feature winners purse.....money is fine, but you can also check with different kart companies and ask for donations for a tire or two, a couple of quarts of oil....things like that...

also, get some cheap winners stickers made....bragging rights go a long way when a kart has three or four feature winner stickers on it!!

insurance is cheap and easy. infact easiest part. 2-3 bucks a wrist band and call it a day. Putting together a series, figuring price structure, track rental fees, use your own officials or track officials, promoting. its a ton of work and not many realize how much work goes into it. Just having people committed on helping you score and figure out the points, then organizing the banquet I can go on and on lol. Ive been asked to put together a local series with 2 or 3 tracks. 6-7 race series. Its a huge commitment and a ton of time, and all you will get is a ton of people criticizing every mistake you make. I wish you the best of the luck.

Putting together a series, figuring price structure, track rental fees, use your own officials or track officials, promoting. its a ton of work and not many realize how much work goes into it. Ive been asked to put together a local series with 2 or 3 tracks. 6-7 race series. Its a huge commitment and a ton of time, and all you will get is a ton of people criticizing every mistake you make. I wish you the best of the luck.
Bingo

hey screamer!! haven't seen you in a while! how have you been???

if i was closer, i wouldn't mind helping with a series or even if you were wanting to run your own track....i love racing and i love being around racing.....

and screamer has told you one thing that you can take to the bank...grab a bunch of luck, add a pinch of hopefullness, toss in a can of smiles and i i wish you the best of luck....anything that i might be able to help with, jsut let me know!

I ran a track for 7 years and learned a couple things. you won't be able to please everybody and you will be blamed for everything possible. YOU RUN THE TRACK, DON'T LET THE TRACK RUN YOU!!! Set your rules and stick with them.

Other posts have talked about event insurance. What about directors liability insurance? Do you need coverage where you are?

Timing systems reduce the number of workers needed, reduce finish line arguments and renting the transponders will help pay for the system. The printouts of the heat results with times is a value added draw, plus everyone including a track announcer can follow along using the live timing app.

Don't forget about trophies. Kids love em and they keep the sponsors brand alive.

Ambulance services are a major cost. Most insurers will allow a first responder instead if the local ambulance can get there in a short time. Check the specifics with the insurer. We use NKA. They have been great to work with.

Hope this helps.

Back