Raceceiver's

My home track took a vote and are going to mandatory use of raceceiver's starting in January. I have no experience with them but support the use of them.

I have a couple questions:

1 - is there anything specific to look for, or lookout for, when buying one?

2 - A friend that races big cars said the success of the raceceiver program depends on how the track administrator uses it. His opinion is while the race is under the green flag the only time the track should talk is when a caution comes out. This way as soon as you hear the mic keyed up you know to lift and look for the reason for the caution. He has been to tracks where they try to communicate to drivers about lap traffic or something else race related so you potentially lose time reacting when a caution comes out. What he said made sense to me. I'd like to hear other opinions.

There for sure only as good as the person talking in them , the least amount of chatter the better, going green this lap, caution, Red Flag, shut down engines, line up clarifications under caution , single file or double file start, and repeat should be limit in my opinion, but a lot of tracks do communicate about to be lapped move over, and rough driving. In the wrong hands they can cause more confusion than there worth.

I agree with Ken
They worked well at my local track only when the person talking it o knew what they were talking about and saying but the moment they mess something up or get on a different page then the racers or guy on the track it becomes a mess. I have a raceiever for sale if you need one. I want 60 bucks shipped to your door. Sure a good deal when brand new they are 110

Limit communications under race conditions to cautions ONLY. Have them repeat it 3-5 times.

Then under caution it's pretty open to whatever they need you to do, your focus on them at that point. If not, it will be mass confusion and do more harm than good. That clears up a lot of things.

Raceceiver is a better brand than Nitrobee & helmet speakers are better than earbuds. Even with expensive custom earbuds the wires get beat up and you gotta toss them, we've been there. We mount the radios on the helmets now using speakers.

I assume you're talking about Godspeed. I'm interested to see how they apply it as well. I've listened to the receiver at big car stuff, and I've seen it be good and bad. Best application will be getting lap karts out of the way and helping communicate restarts and cautions. It will also help to take out the lining us up on the front that they have issues with, since theoretically they can read the lineup out to us.

Calling a wreck while it’s happening instead of half a lap later definitely helps. As Ken said it’s only as good as the person talking into it. Ideally it can be very effective and efficient. Always seems to be about two drivers who don’t have them or don’t want to listen to them also lol

Always seems to be about two drivers who don’t have them or don’t want to listen to them also lol
It'll be interesting to see if the "mandatory" part holds true.

What I had heard used as a monitoring process at other tracks is during parade laps they'll call out for certain, but not all, karts to raise their hand.

If I were you I would find another track to race. Raceivers only add more drama and increase the price of racing.
I fail to see how they add more drama if used correctly. Personally, i like them. They streamline the process especially when you have racers that like to pass under caution and then refuse to line up where they belong for several laps.
And on that note. Don't do that! Any experienced racer knows who he was behind when the caution comes out. Some feel this is fair game if they get away with it.

If I were you I would find another track to race. Raceivers only add more drama and increase the price of racing.
I can appreciate where you're coming from. Sounds like you, or a racing associate, had a bad experience with them. That's parts of what I'm wanting to learn from this thread. What are the do's and don'ts with raceceivers?

If they don't work or it drives racers away I'm partially to blame. I voted yes to making them a requirement for next season. The track usually has time for my advice. I'm wanting to help them be successful with this program.

That's like saying you can't afford to race because helmets are too expensive...think about how a $100 raceciever might save you from piling into another's mess and you end up twisting up a frame as a result...that $100 sounds way better than about a grand or so for a new frame...😉

That's like saying you can't afford to race because helmets are too expensive...think about how a $100 raceciever might save you from piling into another's mess and you end up twisting up a frame as a result...that $100 sounds way better than about a grand or so for a new frame...😉
If a track isn't cheap and has plenty of caution lights.
23 years in karting and have never plowed into a crash because I didn't see the caution lights

In karts, I don't think that the Raceceiver's purpose is to prevent a crash as much as it is to get the line-ups right after one.
Big cars, it may help a time or two, but it's mostly used for instructions to the driver under caution (as it should.)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

In karts, I don't think that the Raceceiver's purpose is to prevent a crash as much as it is to get the line-ups right after one.
Big cars, it may help a time or two, but it's mostly used for instructions to the driver under caution (as it should.)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
In all my years of Karting the one thing that continually amazes me is that 99.9% of the time, the races quickly fall into a single file line, you as a driver normally have plenty of opportunity to see who's in front of you, yet, after the yellow comes out, too many scatter all over the place needing an official to get them back in line and I'm proper position, it's not that hard, slow down, stay in line, the officials will move you if needed, 99% chance you're gonna line up I'm the exact same order as you were when under green..🙄

^ I think most people know where they should be for a restart, but then you've got guys who think they can sneak past a few extra cars on each yellow...which then only delays the program further trying to get the fool in line. Raceceivers, along with the use of that seldom seen black flag, can put a stop to these shenanigans.

I hate to be negative but the ones that crash into you when the caution is a half lap in front of them are still going to do it they are most likely new and are so focused on what they are doing they can't see or hear in front of them. As for lineing up after caution the Same one's will fight for the spot most likely in. The back of the pack with no chance of winning but they make the race last forever. As for me I hate to say I only race there sometimes but I don't think I will come back I will not spend $200 I need 2 for something I don't think work's. I also know of 10 more that feel the same way

Back