Racing with the Stock Muffler

Fasterall

Now, I only recently got back into karting and know nothing about Predators or clones, so I thought I'd ask here, not knowing what to expect.

We've been running in a Predator class at a local track that just started up, with it's own unique rules. Before this weekend, the only permitted change to the engines was the pipe, keeping the air box and everything. However, they revised the rules this week to allow only the stock muffler.

This raised an argument on their Facebook page about overheating. Many people are claiming that the stock mufflers will cause the engines to overheat and shorten their lifespan. That's my question, will running the Predator 6.5hp 212cc engine, with the stock muffler, at 5500rpm for 20 laps on a 1/5th mile track cause damaging overheating?

Thanks!

Now, I only recently got back into karting and know nothing about Predators or clones, so I thought I'd ask here, not knowing what to expect.

We've been running in a Predator class at a local track that just started up, with it's own unique rules. Before this weekend, the only permitted change to the engines was the pipe, keeping the air box and everything. However, they revised the rules this week to allow only the stock muffler.
This raised an argument on their Facebook page about overheating. Many people are claiming that the stock mufflers will cause the engines to overheat and shorten their lifespan. That's my question, will running the Predator 6.5hp 212cc engine, with the stock muffler, at 5500rpm for 20 laps on a 1/5th mile track cause damaging overheating?

Thanks!
No it won't overheat the motor. But you will run into the problem of ppl tampering with them. They by far aren't tamper proof

The engine will be OK but the muffler will run very hot. I suggest that you check it often remove and shake it. Internally it will glow red, parts come loose they tend to fall down onto the exhaust valve. The Honda muffler is better than the aftermarket, but they cost almost the same as your engine.

The engine itself will not overheat because of the muffler, but the muffler will get extremely hot, as stated before. The only issues we have had by running the stock muffler is people tampering with them and they tend not to last longer than a season before they start falling apart internally or externally. Make the rule that they cannot run the heat shield (or have them remove the heat shield at the end of the race)...at least if someone is going to tamper with them, make them spend some time on it and do it with good craftsmanship.

We run stock mufflers....we have to modify top plates for fit them, and they play hell on your arms unless you wear welder's sleeves. No engine problems though.

Gotta be Appalachian Speedway.. that track has seen more rule changes this year than any other. Yes the muffler will get extremely hot. yes the kids will get burned, Yes the ones whining will continue to whine. They want a level playing field at the track and have no idea that kart and tires wins races and not this engine. Maybe when kart count gets below 10 a night they will listen.

Thanks everyone. Good to know it won't be putting any additional stress on the engine.

Gotta be Appalachian Speedway.. that track has seen more rule changes this year than any other. Yes the muffler will get extremely hot. yes the kids will get burned, Yes the ones whining will continue to whine. They want a level playing field at the track and have no idea that kart and tires wins races and not this engine. Maybe when kart count gets below 10 a night they will listen.

Haha, good guess. There's a lot of drama there with people making cheating accusations when they have no evidence. Like you said, the ones who win are doing it on tires and setup. Hopefully it gets settled before it drives everyone away.

With a small amount of HP, no differential, and no suspension, carrying speed through the corners is key to everything. In my past racing life(1/10th scale oval), I walked away from the pack with subpar motors and batteries due to my cornering speed(custom made chassis). My record went unbroken for 4 years and then the track was moved to a different location. Having a hard time getting there in karting because I'm too dang fat.

Didn't appalachian speedway just open up this year? If its the track i think it is, in Ky, a friend of mine has raced there

Just opened this year. Very nice track also. I just dont see it making it the way it is going. They had a $10,000 giveaway a week or two ago and maybe 25 karts showed. Nothing is set is stone, rules get changed on a near weekly basis for whoever is 'liked or complaining' that week. Its driving racers away to other tracks. Ive talked with the track owners along with others but nothing is working. Its getting so bad that one guy wouldn't go through tech 2 weeks ago, "DQ'd" so what do they do? Make him his own class to run it while he makes the rules. Its just at a down hill spiral, not sure if it will ever take off now. Very sad to see so much time and money put into something for it just to be handled like this. Great place to come, Id like to see everyone come and try it out before its to late. But bring lots of spare parts and engines, you wont know what is legal/illegal until race day, yeah that goes for weight too. Weights have been changed a couple times also.

Back