radiator?

lorha4959

Have a cr250 setup for alcohol. Been looking for info on radiator size and if guys are having to run them on alcohol motors. Seen quite a few 450s on alcohol with just coolant and a pressure bottle. I like how much cleaner everthing looks that way as well.

You can find a Banshee radiator on E bay pretty cheap they are a little big . Use the CR mount bushing and washer. I run a in line thermostat off a Tag motor it has a temperature sensor port

I like the oil coolers. Better mounting holes, can be done in any orientation and you can use AN10 5/8” barb fittings. I had an MX radiator and could not get the motor to run above 110 degrees no matter how much tape I ran on it, and I use an axle driven pump that’s at the mercy of cautions and sitting around on the grid so that should definitely say something. The MX radiators have weird mounting patterns so getting a clean mount the exact way you want it is tough. Here’s the cooler I have, I know numerous people using the same one. 7 Row AN10 Universal Full Aluminum Engine Transmission Engine Oil Cooler Silver | eBay

I like the oil coolers. Better mounting holes, can be done in any orientation and you can use AN10 5/8” barb fittings. I had an MX radiator and could not get the motor to run above 110 degrees no matter how much tape I ran on it, and I use an axle driven pump that’s at the mercy of cautions and sitting around on the grid so that should definitely say something. The MX radiators have weird mounting patterns so getting a clean mount the exact way you want it is tough. Here’s the cooler I have, I know numerous people using the same one. 7 Row AN10 Universal Full Aluminum Engine Transmission Engine Oil Cooler Silver | eBay
thanks for the link. engine i have has a jackshaft pump so id have circulation anytime its running.

I like the oil coolers. Better mounting holes, can be done in any orientation and you can use AN10 5/8” barb fittings. I had an MX radiator and could not get the motor to run above 110 degrees no matter how much tape I ran on it, and I use an axle driven pump that’s at the mercy of cautions and sitting around on the grid so that should definitely say something. The MX radiators have weird mounting patterns so getting a clean mount the exact way you want it is tough. Here’s the cooler I have, I know numerous people using the same one. 7 Row AN10 Universal Full Aluminum Engine Transmission Engine Oil Cooler Silver | eBaywhat kind and size of motor are you running
thanks al

You just running (1) cooler per link provided? Looks like these only have a surface area 2" wide x 12"long?

You just running (1) cooler per link provided? Looks like these only have a surface area 2" wide x 12"long?

Correct, with 90 degree AN 5/8” hose barbs. No oil fittings. I know guys running even smaller versions of this, that series from g plus comes in many different sizes. My idea was to mount a piece of flat steel on the right side nerf that goes the length of the two spuds so the cooler runs parallel to the motor and body but clears the starter nut. Then add padding for vibration on it and use the bottom 4 bolt holes on the tabs (2 per side) to mount to it. Plenty of clearance from the ground, keeps it tucked and out of the way under the body. If it ever gets too hot I can just add an air duct on the wedge panel with a 12v fan.

Last edited:
Please send another photo of the radiator mount location, I couldn't find it in the video. ( nice looking setup)

Please send another photo of the radiator mount location, I couldn't find it in the video. ( nice looking setup)
That’s the Joe Stackman’s judges performance house ride. It didn’t use a radiator in that setup, just was plumbed to use the water in the system. Some 450’s don’t get hot enough on alky to need a radiator. When there was a radiator on it, it was bolted on the left side of the seat laying down.

This is the oil cooler option I mentioned. Very clean and small.

Attachments

• 9FE31EE9-41AB-450A-B0A9-1B5CDE38C6A0.jpeg
    9FE31EE9-41AB-450A-B0A9-1B5CDE38C6A0.jpeg
    107.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 2F31CC8C-F26A-49F3-8FB1-639C862BB7FD.jpeg
    2F31CC8C-F26A-49F3-8FB1-639C862BB7FD.jpeg
    146.5 KB · Views: 38
That’s the Joe Stackman’s judges performance house ride. It didn’t use a radiator in that setup, just was plumbed to use the water in the system. Some 450’s don’t get hot enough on alky to need a radiator. When there was a radiator on it, it was bolted on the left side of the seat laying down.
That's how I did my Honda CR250R. Also drilled a hole in the right side of my seat and used a left hand starter.

Thanks for the photos
It’s worth mentioning if you go closed loop with no radiator you’ll need an electric pump or the stock internal impeller on that 250 to make enough flow to keep it cool. An axle driven pump will not flow enough water under caution.

Woulda closed system work on a open parilla /x30 cylinder combination .
Not having a radiator , I kind of like that idea .

Back