Radius washer, Bully

Lcarter

I'm sure this has been beat into the ground but I'm installing a new Bully 2 disk on a clone. Heard several people talk about a radius washer to put on before the clutch to protect the shoulder of the crank. I know Bully recommends a small amount of freeplay. Do most people run a radius washer or even a flat washer against the crank shoulder. The Bully instructions didn't mention running anything there and didn't provide anything to put there. I appreciate any input.

Actually its too protect the nose of the clutch .
Engine type may affect the answer .
Personally I rarely did .
Crankshaft length dictates this too some extent . If its plenty long the yes . If its short , you do not want too crush the nose against the crank radius .
A small diameter washer inside the hub at the outer end is needed . To take up any space . A machine washer or one ground too fit .
Will one hurt , no .
Will it protect the nose , yes if fit properly.
If you run end play about . 030 is my choice .
If a washer is chosen you could grind or file a radius on the id .

I'll check again, I thought they threw a couple extra thrust washers in the bag but they may have been the intended spacers.

Got back home and mocked it up. However there was any kind of beveled washer meant to run against the crank step. There were two thin 3/4 shims.

Last edited:
The thin shim is all that is needed, they're oversized so they ride up on the radius on the crank shoulder. The only real problem is if the clutch over hangs, and you hammer it on with an impact and force the clutch to ride up on the crank shoulder. The radius/beveled washer is overkill and even an 1/8" spacer is usually going to force the clutch over the end of the crank end to require even more spacing on the front end.

Use both of the thin washers that came with your new Bully. Sometimes 1 washer will suffice. An 1/8" radius washer is nice, but not necessary and will require add'l shimming at the end of the crank if you want to have endplay on the clutch itself. For drum clutches on L206, animal, clone, & predators, I don't recommend any clutch endplay. With disc clutches, I still use just a bit ~.015."
I do just as Cole said, (bolt, 5/16" lock washer, flat washer, and another 5/16" lock washer in that order on the end of the crank.) That second lock washer serves no purpose other than to take up the space at the end of the crank like a shim.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Ok i'll put both shims on against the shoulder, tighten it down and check endplay. I'm pretty sure I ran a shim there 10 years ago and never had a problem. Thanks a bunch for the info.

Back