I know the folks at the track saying "forget about rpms" have a point when a guy doing 7260 rpms (that's his only focus is rpms) loses handily and all season to a guy doing 6690 rpms and wins the championship. I have been told many times to forget rpms and go for power.First off I'm not always correct on anything:
So with that being said I hope what I offered made sense to you just starting out. and ... ?
I'm not into trying to remember what to do for anything, I'm into trying to understand how to use what your racing efficiently and if you can do that you will be fast, per ... theory on how stuff works.
Your original concern was about IMHO ... "how the heck do I know if my gearing is ok especially if I have a lot of other stuff off?".
ok I hope?
IMHO Throw rpm into the wind is a good way to help you get fast being new.
IT NETS OUT TO throw what ever gear you have to throw at it to get your RPM's to where everyone says they should be.
If you throw too much gear to it it will suck the life out of your engine and you will be a toad.
If you throw the right gear to it ... "for your experience level" you will hit the RPM everyone says you should but you will not be as fast as those who are into the game with experience and skill.
... So what the heck should you do?
1. throw gear at it until you either hit your RPM goal, which if I'm reading correctly you CAN do.
2. If that's the case there is no number 2 so flush and move on.
3. After that it's about doing stuff to get around the track better allowing you to take a tooth or two off and move on.
4. There is no number 4 because the whole game is about being able to get around the track efficiently with the least amount of gear on.
5. ... it's late and let me know if what I spent so much time and effort writing made any sense to you?
6. ??? bed time as soon as the Chargers kick Denver Butt. ...
It all nets out to make your expected rpm, get around the track better then take gear off and go faster.
it's a game about being able to go faster then the other guy or gal and having a better chance to win. ... period.
You said your a beginner and I tried to explain the game to you.
What you do from here out is about how you play the game.
What makes YOUR game fun for us on here is to be a part of your game and read about your "FIRST" win.
If we hear that ... we all win in our individual way. ...
edit: me i'm all about the BS of it.