Recluse clutch on a UAS kart

sibertwist

Has anyone tried a rucluse clutch on a mx open kart? The good and bad? I know you can't pop start it and it is expensive. But if it would improve the performance and be easier on the motor it would be worth it.

i wish i could answer this for you . but i dont have any expiriance with them , but they are getting popular with most 450 guys i know

Raced rekluse clutches on xc atv for as long as they have been out. If rpms drop to much it will go to idle and completely disengage. Then when you apply heavy throttle it grab quickly and likely spin the tires.

Raced rekluse clutches on xc atv for as long as they have been out. If rpms drop to much it will go to idle and completely disengage. Then when you apply heavy throttle it grab quickly and likely spin the tires.

Aren't they adjustable like a kart multiplate?

There were some posts about them in the UAS thread I posted in earlier.....seemed to be an advantage for those that left the stock gearbox and clutch. In winged outlaw karting they're illegal, for unknown reasons (probably pricing?) ~Ted

You can adjust them. I'm not sure how low rpm and still be engaged without continued slipping at idle. Have experienced long downhill sections where it took a blip of the throttle to engage again for some engine breaking. I'm questioning why not keep stock clutch and a lever on the wheel or column? Only advantage I see is if you had to lock down brakes it wouldn't kill motor.

You can adjust them. I'm not sure how low rpm and still be engaged without continued slipping at idle. Have experienced long downhill sections where it took a blip of the throttle to engage again for some engine breaking. I'm questioning why not keep stock clutch and a lever on the wheel or column? Only advantage I see is if you had to lock down brakes it wouldn't kill motor.

I've seen 450's with "kart clutches" stall when spinning out. They are not a "cure-all" for keeping the motor running.

I've got a core exp 2.0 and I've got another motor with the stock clutch. I'm used to running an outlaw kart so driving with a clutch lever on the steering column is a no-brainer for me. Easy to do. I like the fact you can also disengage the clutch at any RPM during the parade laps as well :)

Thanks for the input I appreciate it . I'm running a yz 167 with the tranny and I have no problem using the clutch I thought if the recluse could be slipped like a bully etc. tha I'm might be quicker thru the turns. Most input you get is for a mx bike and not for a speedway setup. Thanks again Sibertwist!

I had a conversation with my engine building recently about this very thing.

He installed them in many bikes and adjusting them properly is KEY, also very difficult. He said that when the "fingers" are made, if they're not cut from the same roll of steel, then they tend to expand at different rates. Which increases the difficulty in tuning it, but he says that when they're functioning properly they're pretty good for the bikes and Atv's. He said he doesn't have any idea how they'd perform for circle track racing.

Back