Red clay prep

You've nailed me here. It does drive me nuts because it does t make sense. I get some oil making it grip better. But, I don't get 5,6,7 coats.

After your post earlier I decided to ask the track how they prepare the track. They only have one race per month and it usually is a pretty good 150+ kart count event.

Response
"Sure I don’t mind. We don’t ever till it. We only tear it up if it gets rutted out due to heavy rainfall in-between races or if we change the track surface in anyway. Then we don’t necessarily tear it up. I use my Harley Power Box Rake attachment to work it up,fill in the ruts,level it and condition the dirt. Then we put a 1000gal of water on it let it soak in for about 30/45 minutes then we roll it in with the track trucks. Then if it needs it we drag the fluid filled turf tread tractor tires over it to fill in the smaller spots until they’re gone. Then we water it again and drag the tires over it till it gets smooth and shiny on top. We have never used calcium we don’t like it."

Here is a picture of the track.
The 5,6,7 coats is Simple anytime your pulling a set of 33s off the rack , older harder heat cycled more, and doing all prep track side is that's what it takes or the tire would simply run out of prep , So the xtra coats are what's required to get prep into that set of tires surface .

Based on those pictures of the track , If they took a different approach with there track prep , instead of ALWAYS slicked over lots of prep, it would be NO prep Never prepped for 33s ALWAYS .

The 5,6,7 coats is Simple anytime your pulling a set of 33s off the rack , older harder heat cycled more, and doing all prep track side is that's what it takes or the tire would simply run out of prep , So the xtra coats are what's required to get prep into that set of tires surface .

Based on those pictures of the track , If they took a different approach with there track prep , instead of ALWAYS slicked over lots of prep, it would be NO prep Never prepped for 33s ALWAYS .
With that much prep being driven into the tires and sent to the track wouldn't a fresh unprepped tire be a possible selection for feature? I would think the racing line would be more of a prep line by feature time. Sorry never been to this particular track but have been to some similar to what is explained.

Not everyone was wiping aggressive all day long.
I know of at least one fellow who won in a competitive class that was on our tires and preps.

Those wiping goat and green are just trying to get ahold of the track. You can pound a tire down and burn it in, but a properly prepared tire "ahead of time" will be better when you're on a low bite / no bite track surface.
Hard does not equal high bite. You can have hard slick too. ;)
I'd agree with this most everyone would end up better off taking this approach . However with BURRIS 33s you have to be real careful not to get the cake to moist , and that's a very fine line. Remember the other thread last week .
With Burris 33s make NO mistake If someone hits just the right method and it's 98 % what the tires are needing , Only wiping the surface track side, will always win out over prepped ahead, Provided they can always do that Track side, where there only manipulating the Frosting " Surface " of the tires , which is very hard to achieve !! So your odds are much better using the method Brian is suggesting, but by no means with Burris 33s don't let yourself be fooled that it's the ABSOLUTE BEST method ;)

With that much prep being driven into the tires and sent to the track wouldn't a fresh unprepped tire be a possible selection for feature? I would think the racing line would be more of a prep line by feature time. Sorry never been to this particular track but have been to some similar to what is explained.
If it would hook up yes for sure , problem is with a sealed over surface a Fresh Un - Prepped won't grip enough to generate enough heat to hook up.

This point here is why I asked this question. At The Farm Track in Ky everyone is wiping aggressive all day long. The idea is start with an older harder tire and pound it down into the 40's. Yet the track surface is as hard as anything I've seen. I do not understand how saturating a tire with oil works best. This is the track that I showed my tires from a couple weeks ago where there was NO sign of graining after a 20 lap feature.

This does not make sense to me.
Welch red......

Back