restamping a tire

MDR

Anybody ever tried to take a certain kind of tire and stamp a different brand name on it. I know this is cheating but some tires just don't last.

Yeah, sure, but they ain't stamped, they have all that stuff as a raised part of the original mold, maybe you could just skim what you need off an old tire and glue it where you want it?

Where did he mention re-cap? He only mentioned Brand name.

He didn't mention it.... he was suggesting that the OP just recap the brand of tire that is "legal" with the rubber that will last without the hassle of trying to restamp the tire that works with the name of the tire that is required.

100x easier to take the legal tire to a recapper and have whatever rubber you choose put on the carcass. A lot easier than trying to figure out a way to redo the sidewall molding.

Dave @ Major Racing Tire (I believe he's still around the northeast.) He's the only one that I know of that has the ability to do our small tires. We had him do hundreds of tires for us back in the 80's and early '90s.
Don't know about your local tire shops, but I am guessing most would laugh.

I've seen guys get REAL creative at razor blading the raised lettering off of a Burris tire and glue it on the sidewall of a Firestone for use at a Burris only race. Looked real convincing until you stood behind the kart and looked at the profile and stance of the tire (completely different!) The real speed advantage of tires is in the sidewall and overall construction rather than just the rubber or duro -- we all manipulate that through chemicals now anyway.

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I was going to run a Kings only race, which look to be just printed on (never had a set). Take a set of vega's and put the kings logo on there. I already order a set of the kings now, but I still wouldn't mind trying it.

Its a good idea to let the world know you plan to cheat on a public forum with your name in your profile. No one will ever find out.

The older kings had what seemed like a rubber decal for their sidewalls, they started falling off on me.... I've ground and colored the Vega logo with a marker for a Burris track before they weren't really looking at tires though unless there was a noticeable coloring on the sidewalls lol

Back