Results for Race #2 Carolina Unlimited Allstars @ Possum Kimgdom 4/5/14

crs#27

Wow!! That sums up this weekends race. First I would like to thank everyone that came and raced with us this past weekend. Also I would like to thank all the sponsors who helped the UAS class, Maxxis Tires, Chavous Race Products, Donnie Wheelers Transmission Service and race promoter Mackie Flood for letting us tag along with his series for this race. With the weather giving us a break and actually being nice for a change, Plus having almost 600 entry's at the Maxxis Mid Atlantic Dirt Series race which made the track almost perfect it wasn't going to get any better for kart racing. This was also our last 1/4 point race for the year. 13 UAS karts showed up to race with everything from a 116cc 2 cycle to Fuel injected Jawa's. Chris Seay had the new GM power plant ready to race for the first time also. Everyone looked quick in practice but when it came time to qualify that would tell the tale of what was going to happen. Although I didn't get to qualify I still gave to the race fans by giving some lucky person standing in turn 4 the connecting rod out of my Briggs 342, Never seen parts fly like that or that high. During qualifying I was running the Radar gun on the back straight for the $100.00 bonus that I was giving for the fastest trap speed. We have ran here for a long time and I have always wondered how fast we were actually going and found out. 82 mph was the fastest that I saw on the gun with 85 being shown on the GPS from the tachs on the karts. Qualifying ended up like this.
1st Daniel Armstrong PRC Jawa 13.95 (New track record by almost 3 tenths)
2nd Robby Yow Umax GM 14.27
3rd Shay Chavous Charger 150cc Sudam 14.40
4th Justin Gilbert Charger Wankel 14.57
5th Matt Hope Shadow YZ450 14.59
6th Stephen Gleason Infiniti PK250 14.70
7th Junior Neal Umax Wankel 15.26
8th Michael Meacham PRC 100cc 15.43
9th Cale Littlefield ? TRX250 Hon 15.57
10th William Brock PRC 116 15.94
11th Bill Meacham PRC Twin 100cc 18.72
12th Charles Stoffa Charger Briggs 342 Broke rod
13th Nick Hatton Infiniti Briggs V Twin Broke Cam

For the Main event Yow went to his back up machine (BRC150) because in qualifying the chain came off the big GM after the first lap and it decided to eat the clutch to pieces. Hatton got to repair his machine so he could start also. Mine was dead so I watched. When the flag dropped the front 6 stayed close for a lap then it was over as far as the lead was concerned. Armstrong on the Phantom Jawa was flawless, It never twitched or did anything wrong for 15 laps and he stretched the lead every corner. Yow held off Chavous for a little while with Gilbert trying to get by both of them during the first part of the race. Hope was trying to get by Gilbert at the same time also. Then Gleason caught Hope and started putting pressure on him. Chavous got by Yow for second and took off, Then Hope got by Gilbert and started to put pressure on Yow. With Gilbert's tires giving up Gleason got by Gilbert for 5th. The race went green the whole way without a caution, When it was done it looked like this.

1st Daniel Armstrong
2nd Shay Chavous
3rd Robby Yow
4th Matt Hope
5th Stephen Gleason
6th Justin Gilbert
7th Junior Neal
8th Nick Hatton
9th William Brock
10th Bill Meacham
11th Cale Littlefield
12th Charles Stoffa
13th Michael Meacham

All I can say is that if you thought that the Wankel made everything look bad when it came out, Then you haven't seen anything yet with the Jawa and GM motors. Folks these thing are BAD FAST, especially when they are done right. On a small track it MIGHT not be as bad but when you let these monsters stretch their legs, look out!! I know that in years past I have tried to build some strange and fast stuff but it's a new ball game now and I guess it's back to the drawing board. Hope everyone made it home safe and I'll see you at the races!

Great writeup Charlie,
I had a great time watching some bad fast machines on a great track, unbelievable show.
Thanks for everything and it was a pleasure meeting you.
Hope to see you all next year.

Yes we did break the cam and bent the left front spindle in practice. We went into our OH SH?? box and pulled a used cam out and stuck in and prayed for the best and finished the race. Thanks to Jeff Stafford our engine builder for all his help at the track and at his shop. WE could not do this with out him. As far as Harrill's JAWA that thing is a BEAST and is as fine of piece of work as i have ever seen. Guys they bar has been raised another notch for the UAS. Jimmy Hatton

Great recap of the race. Wanted to be there to see the big dawgs hunt, but we were in kershaw running the sprint enduro race. Did anyone video the race? Would like to see the action.

Charlie going to Motocross? What's up with that?? Not enough politics in karting......so go to the moto-sport where politics is king?

Also.....great work by Hattons. Replace the cam, in a V engine and a spindle on the kart. THAT thrash is what should have been video'd!!! ;)
Musta' been quite a track "incident" that bends the cam (from the sudden stop) AND the spindle.

Oh....and Charlie.....see if your next door neighbor will give you a ride in his $420,000.00 Porsche. He is a tough bargainer. The dealer wanted
$420,000 for it, and your neighbor (Pop) beat him down to $410,000. An hour later or so, he proved that it would run 175 mph. Shhhhh!

Nice writeup.... Hopefully Seay has his dashcam vids... How did the drivetrain fail? Anyone make a #40 clutch housing? :) Eh, just run that GM direct-drive like it wants. :)

Flat track not Motocross guys, I've already done the MX thing for 20 yrs. I'm going up to Hilton's neck of the woods to see if I can break 200 on my street bike though in May. I'm not leaving karting just taking a break of sorts. Ya'll just start getting ready for the Big O race in August, it's gonna be a barn burner!

Flat track not Motocross guys, I've already done the MX thing for 20 yrs. I'm going up to Hilton's neck of the woods to see if I can break 200 on my street bike though in May. I'm not leaving karting just taking a break of sorts. Ya'll just start getting ready for the Big O race in August, it's gonna be a barn burner!
OK....excuse accepted! Just so we know you are sticking with the karting world.
Big O....coming up. It is fast becoming the biggest race in the karting season....for the unlimiteds in particular.

Ya'll just start getting ready for the Big O race in August, it's gonna be a barn burner!

I started getting ready for this race last month it is the best race of the year hands down in my book!! No bob's/uas politics for that race :) Thanks for helping put it on for the unlimited karts Charlie!

Gravity will bring you back to karting soon enough. But good luck on them 2 wheels. I learned my lesson years ago. Nice write up Charlie see you at the BigO

Charlie, don't ask me how I know but PK is pretty good at blowing engines. Happily nobody catched your rod. :eek::eek::eek:

Charlie, don't ask me how I know but PK is pretty good at blowing engines. Happily nobody catched your rod. :eek::eek::eek:
PK should be shortened up considerably, and the track made wider. !/5th mile seems to be the ideal length for kart tracks.

Glad you got to make it Joe and thank you for helping out with the race! Santiago I think someone did catch the rod, all I know was I saw them backing up from the fence when it was coming towards them.

Sounds like you gave me competition for the blowup of the decade. I broke my Tecumseh in half......gave the very much in need of a shower Rabiddog, and oil bath. ;)

Glad you got to make it Joe and thank you for helping out with the race! Santiago I think someone did catch the rod, all I know was I saw them backing up from the fence when it was coming towards them.

I´ll check ebay then, Charlie. ¨Barely used rod, gives you 20 extra hp. I am not using it anymore.¨Lol. PD, I like the Kingdom as it is. If you changed it would be like any other track, but it is PK, for good and bad. JMO

Back