resurfacing tires

What is the preferred method for weekly tire scuffing? Flapper wheel or belt sander? And what is the desired pulley sizes on my tire sander? Thank you

I have searched on here for others method on this also with no good results. I would be interested in how you guys do this also?

I like 2'' and 12"pulleys.
flap wheel , rubber fingers or belt sander .
its a guesstimate. look good- rubber finger , little fuzz -belt, rolled up- flap wheel

I like quite a bit of cross hatch in my tires... Is start with 60 or 80 grit flat disc, make a pass each way. Then 80 grit belt sander one pass each way, then by hand use a 120 grit belt sander belt

Do it on the tire machine (Jones or SBC) or on a tire refinisher rotating the tire at around 300rpm. I use a belt sander and plateau finish similarly to Kyle. First with 50g, then followed by 80 or 100g on a cross hatch pattern similar to a plateau finish on a freshly honed engine cylinder. Use plenty of Windex non-ammoniated window cleaner as coolant.

I'm sure I posted my exact procedure on here before the infamous site "crash", but you get the idea. :)

---------
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Brian please tell me why you choose non amoniated Windex? Not questioning your statement just curios what amonia does to the tire

Ok thanks, new to karting and trying to learn. I have been around dirt track cars a little and notice they just use a round 5in or so sanding disk and just work their way around the tire on a roller stand.

Me personally, I use Ammonia water after i refinish my tires because it helps get all the soap out of the tire and also helps the tire harden up.

Chop Cutz
Porkchop Jones
(812)-447-3306

^
helps the tire harden up.

This is exactly why I DO NOT use ammonia. I know some guys will use methanol mixed with their tire cutting lubricant -- I avoid this as well...it does pull the oil out of the rubber and harden the tire. To each their own, though -- that's what makes this wonderful world of tires go 'round. ;)

---------
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
765-339-4407

I put tires on my tire scuffer every week with belt sander then at the track I put some tire prep on and race made my own tire scuffer

I use old methanol myself, clean with acrysol (or like me naphta) then lay a coat or two of hot lap for the week. ;)

^

This is exactly why I DO NOT use ammonia. I know some guys will use methanol mixed with their tire cutting lubricant -- I avoid this as well...it does pull the oil out of the rubber and harden the tire. To each their own, though -- that's what makes this wonderful world of tires go 'round. ;)

---------
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
765-339-4407
Actually Brain the mixes we mix up puts oil into the tire. You can't just use Ammonia because it will pull the oil out of a tire, same with methanol. That is why we put something else in our mix to replenish the oils.

Chop Cutz
Porkchop Jones
(812)-447-3306

I use a little mixture inside the tires when am doing them.60/80 100 belt on a Jones. I too use non ammonia winded spray. Then I Turn down speed and let her run on off for a half hour or so. But that's just my way

Raceragain to answer your question I would say neither the belt or disc. You will have to scuff them back on the track if you leave like that. WetSand them smooth with 220 and maybe follow up with a scotch bright. They will be smooth and ready for the track.

Benji,
Since this is a local guy - I am figuring he's running Burris (or at least soft natural rubber tires on loose dirt low bite tracks here in the midwest.)
On Maxxis in the south or on high bite tracks I'd agree with you -- but don't try to finish a Burris 33 for weekly racing with 220 or scotchbrite. ;)

Benji,
Since this is a local guy - I am figuring he's running Burris (or at least soft natural rubber tires on loose dirt low bite tracks here in the midwest.)
On Maxxis in the south or on high bite tracks I'd agree with you -- but don't try to finish a Burris 33 for weekly racing with 220 or scotchbrite. ;)

I agree 100%, unless you like running in the back lol

Are you guys doing this with them on the kart, or do you have some kind of fixture setup?
Built mine. Harbor freight tool stand $15. 1 old kart axle $10. 1 old hub $5. 2 used pillow block bearings $10. Old drill press found at yard sale (bought for motor only) $10. Listening to the wife ask "are you done making all that noise yet?" Priceless. Thing works great!

Back