RLV LO206 install guide

• Thread starter Deleted member 21174
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21174

Found this at the RLV website (under downloads). RLV LO206 Install

The clutch specifics will depend on the clutch manufacturer as long as the clutch is tight to the crankshaft per Briggs? It seems like a pretty good overview? Is there anything folks would add/amplify/correct? When the 2 exhaust bolts at the header are wired together - is this to prevent red hot bolt heads flying around if a bolt fails?

The safety wire (when installed correctly) keeps the bolts from backing out and losing the exhaust pipe. Never seen an exhaust bolt fail. Seen plenty loosen up and cause the threads in the head to strip. I carry an M6 helicoil kit in my toolbox at all times. Was much more common with the original RLV 5507 pipes with the welded support bracket.

Thanks! This makes a lot more sense. I found some good youtube videos on lock wiring and it makes more sense now. When bolting up the engine Briggs recommended Blue Loctite for the clutch bolt but shows a different color in their video. What loctite do folks use for the clutch? Are any other fastener treatments (loctite, anti seize etc) recommended for other connections?

Use Blue (medium strength) Loctite or Permatex for the clutch bolt. We also use it on numerous nuts and bolts on the kart that are susceptible to loosening like seat bolts.

I don't care how good you are with safety wire. The header bolts will loosen up because of the compression of the gasket between the head and the header, the aluminum in the head expands and contracts with heat and the pipe vibrates (a lot) no matter how well you have it braced.
I would never safety wire the bolts if i had that option since the safety wire has to be removed if you want to retighten the header bolts.
Since the rules state that you must use safety wire i always try to sneak on the track for a few practice sessions before i am forced to put the wire in.
That way the engine can go through at least a few heat cycles and i can tighten the bolts again after each session.
Be aware that the pipe will still loosen up after a while, even with the safety wire. Keep checking the bolts before each race day.
I'd suggest blue loctite on the clutch bolt.
Do not put loctite on the crankshaft like one guy recently did. I had to use the torch to cut the clutch off.

The header install kits come with lock washers and flat washers but I can't see them used in the photo above. Are lock washers and or flat washers recommended for the header? What size hex key is needed for the exhaust bolts?

My take would be header , flat washer , lock washer , bolt . ( Socket head cap screws )

Last edited:
The "bolts" are actually called "socket head cap screws". We only use the cap screws and skinny split lock washers that fit under the allen/socket heads on the screws. I believe the lock washers are actually called "High Collar Lock Washers". Should be a 5 metric allen/socket head unless someone has changed the threads in the head and replaced the cap screws.

They come with 6mm (metric) threads in the head but sometimes people put a helicoil in damaged heads and change to 1/4" imperial (American) thread. In that case, the socket head would probably be 3/16".

Back