Rolling tires

Im fairly new to rolling tires, made my own roller it makes 1 rev. every 11mins, rolling unmounted I have never had it come out of the tire or even get up on the side wall. I think the slower the better on these things so the prep has time to drain back down and not get to the top of the inside of the tire, JMHO

brian, does the evaporation hurt the way the prep affects the tires? if so does that stop the prep from going through the tire? can you counter act that by adding more prep ?

I normally roll with mounted so I can size rights and check duro during process

I guess the best way might be to purchase more wheels, but sometimes its not just my tires, I do tires for buddies locally that I help and they don't always get the wheels to me in time or don't always have enough, so I thought I would try without wheels since I had heard of it before, I did not use bee bees tho.

^ There you go.

I still have a box of used BBs -- I hope I never have to use them again!

Coty, our Core box rolls pretty quickly as compared to our Jones...(not knocking either brand - we love them both!) I prefer to roll mounted tires to reduce evaporation. This is especially important if you are using heat.

Tom, who's hot box are you using that the rotisserie is that slow? -- That's the slowest I've heard of and would be a nice way to go for internal prepping.

Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Yes Brian it makes it very nice... A right side tire makes 1 revolution every 7 min. I forget what brand roller it is as I bought this one that I am referring to years ago from Checkered Flag. I then made that roller and pan into a hot box. That is still one of my favorite boxes that I have today.

The BBs help spread the prep evenly -- as mentioned above, they are a pain to clean them out and make sure that you get them all. :)
The evaporation rate definitely changes how the prep is absorbed into the rubber. Consider that many preps use acrysol, or some type of mineral spirits or other solvent to help drive the prep into the rubber. Unfortunately, these solvents all evaporate at a much higher rate than many of the ingredients that actually "prep" the tire (ie silicone base or other oils.) Generally, the solvents evaporate first, leaving the base prep chemicals just sitting on the surface of the rubber. Some even stay wet or slimy even through several heat cycles. I think the big key to prepping is consistency. If you prep (whatever brand you use) the same way every time, then your results become more consistent. If you are forced to prep a tire unmounted, and your norm is to prep them mounted, don't expect the results to be the same for both methods. I've always got some extra wheels lying around the shop here if I've got a customer that wants me to prep just tires for them. Sure, it's a pain to mount and dismount, but with the proper tools, it's not so much of a pain as it is a time inconvenience. I try to sell the customer wheels if they need, or they are always welcome to ship their wheels here, but occasionally, we still get requests for unmounted prepped tires.

Someone mentioned 15 cc (that's only 1/2 ounce) -- if you're prepping that little internally, you might do well to just wipe the inside of the tread and that way you won't get ANY on the sidewalls. 1/2 ounce is about two wipes. Pretty simple to do that with unmounted tires.

It's true that the prep wicks into the sidewall/shoulder of the tires. I try to limit internal prepping to 2 ounces per roll. Ie, if I need a 4 ounce tire, I roll 2 ounces 24 hours, then roll another 2 ounces the next day. This definitely helps on keeping prep off the sidewall and your spring rates up when internal prepping with anything that softens a tire. This is especially important on thick rubber tires and ELs.

Thanks,
Brian

Try one full roll about every 50mins is what mine turns very slow if I roll the out side its dry or almost depends on prep I believe this works real good for inside prep but I think the tire takes it better with air but with out wheel works too just lose a lil prep everyone worries bout side walls just roll a old tire I don't care how u do if prep goes in then it follows the cords in to the side wall nothing is gonna stop it....u can roll with or with out the rim its personal preference believe me their just right preps and wrong preps to use

Rolled some 33As the other day with trac tac purple...2oz rights and 1 oz lefts...came out perfect on 48 duro....rolled for 24 hrs....

definatly need to slow mine down checked it today and 1 revolution per 50 seconds .
no need to roll unmounted as a check now.
must be an early model as it won't do 4 right sides either.

Hard to get the BB's out? Are you guys trying to pick them out with your fingers? Use a spray paint can cap or something of that nature. Lean the tire so the BB's move to the shoulder of the tire. Place cap behind BB's. Slightly rotate tire so BB's roll into cap. The only way any easier would be with a vacuum.

Hard to get the BB's out? Are you guys trying to pick them out with your fingers? Use a spray paint can cap or something of that nature. Lean the tire so the BB's move to the shoulder of the tire. Place cap behind BB's. Slightly rotate tire so BB's roll into cap. The only way any easier would be with a vacuum.
This is a good method to gettin them out. If I roll unmounted with bb's I take a 5 gallon bucket when the tires are done and take the tire and turn it on its side over the bucket. I then give the tire a few shakes and all the bb's fall down into the 5 gallon bucket with no mess and only takes about 30 seconds to have them all out of the tire.

Have two older tires rolling without wheels, waiting on wheels to arrive. I've always rolled with wheels, first time without. One side of the tires has prep dripping from the bead, looks like the tires turned over, but didn't. It's a very slow roller (Rebel Fab). I will roll only with wheels from now on.

Have two older tires rolling without wheels, waiting on wheels to arrive. I've always rolled with wheels, first time without. One side of the tires has prep dripping from the bead, looks like the tires turned over, but didn't. It's a very slow roller (Rebel Fab). I will roll only with wheels from now on.
The wheel is only going to stop you from seeing where the prep is going.
either need to level roller or turn tire around so opposite side gets equal prep.

Back