Rotax Reed Valve 116 Exhaust

gmancamp73

Any suggestions on what exhaust to run this motor on a 1/8 mile dirt oval. also what gears on buller jackshaft with a 3 disk bully clutch.

Got to be real careful on the needles with using a big open pipe on a 116, then tend to run lean, real quick, (have to keep a eye out on the egt) and sometimes it happens so fast, it's too late.. when I first started building 116's, I did alot of dyno/track testing., the best I came up with is a modified s1, or s4 (that I modify)., depending on the track size.. pro 81/2, as well as cre6 will work, but i'd cover part of the can hole.. the 35 fd1-4's can also be made to work., I have a 60 deg. pro81/2, I can get rid of.. which ever you choose, 1 7/8 header is preferred.

I happen to have a rotax reed 116. Built by Joe Torres. Great motor for Saturday night racing. I run a Kb-06 both holes open, Buller header, 9 1/4 up to 10 inches of flex. (Critics don't pick on me too hard on the flex length). 34mm alky mikuni. We use Klotz Benol at 16:1. Haven't stuck one yet.

awesome info everyone.

bh1974 - I've got the same setup and mine was built by Joe also as I was told by the seller. Can you send me some pics of your setup to gmancamp@yahoo.com or 901-691-1362. I'd really appreciate the help to set mine up.

I happen to have a rotax reed 116. Built by Joe Torres. Great motor for Saturday night racing. I run a Kb-06 both holes open, Buller header, 9 1/4 up to 10 inches of flex. (Critics don't pick on me too hard on the flex length). 34mm alky mikuni. We use Klotz Benol at 16:1. Haven't stuck one yet.
The great Don Garlets once said; if you don't get a red light once in awhile, you're not to cutting it close enough.

Rotax isn't currently on kart. Off to be freshened up. I ran a 19 engine driver with the 57t driven jackshaft. Gave a wider range of ratios for me as I ran on a 1/10 mile and a 1/4 mile oval. Went to a 50t birky clutch before engine was removed for refresh. At the moment have a fresh watercooled 116cc PCR on it. Awesome piece!!

Rotax isn't currently on kart. Off to be freshened up. I ran a 19 engine driver with the 57t driven jackshaft. Gave a wider range of ratios for me as I ran on a 1/10 mile and a 1/4 mile oval. Went to a 50t birky clutch before engine was removed for refresh. At the moment have a fresh watercooled 116cc PCR on it. Awesome piece!!
I don’t quite understand that. How does a 3.0 primary give you a wider ratio choice? My concern would be the extra torque the clutch is absorbing.
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory.

Sorry Al. In my post meant to put 21t driver with the big 57t pulley. 2.7142 primary ratio. 19t driver with the 50t birky clutch. 2.6315 primary ratio. Either setup allows to run any track from a bullring to a fast 1/4 mile. And the Birky clutch will absorb massive amounts of torque without destruction

Back