Satellite internet

We have hughsnet and cannot stand it. Once you've used a certain amount of your data per month your shut down, no more internet until your month is up. And the speed isn't to die for either. Where we live we cannot get cable, so we must live with it. Just my 2 cents.

I'm over in Chatham. The house I'm at had wild blue which supposed to have a new faster deal. I'm in the same boat as you. No cable or just dial up.

Just have to manage it as best you can. The day your data renews if you go watch a few youtube videos youll find yourself without internent for a month. lol

We have Hughes--heavy rain will knock out the signal. But it is a lot better than dial up, which was our only other option out in the country. John

Try to get a hot spot, they work a lot better.

Soooo true. Many satellite Internet providers restrict you to a single location. I had Dishnet (Wild Blue) and could not use my IPad, just my desktop. My roommate and I went to AT&T as our cell phone provider and AT&T hooked us up with a hot spot. Now, she and I can go virtually anywhere and get Internet on my IPad or her laptop. My desktop, printer/scanner, and up to 3 other items can be used anywhere in the house. Should we take a "road trip", we simply take the hotspot with us and have Internet access most anywhere. Also, when the weather gets nasty here in Fl. And knocks out my satellite for the TV, also it did with my satellite Internet. AT&T's hotspot has yet to fail to provide.

As far as cost, Hughesnet is waaaaay too expensive. Others are not far behind. It's maybe just me but if I can get a hotspot cheaper, no foul weather blackouts, and the versatility of being able to take it with ya sold us. And you don't have no stinkin' big ugly dish in your yard either. JMHO -Alan-

I know that their customer service sucks and sometimes their rates arent the best....but you cannot beat Comcast Internet hookup. I get 110mbs download speed here in Atlanta.

Any one try excede. Up to 12 Mbps on all plans. Seemed fast at the dealer but I ain't sold on it yet. Gonna check out the hot spot tomorrow.
Thanks for the replies.

I have Verizon Cell Phone service. When I travel or I'm at home and want to use the Internet, I have this little device that is about the size of a pack of smokes. Portable Internet. If I remember, it is basically free or about $20, and then you pay a monthly service fee. While it is not cheap, it does give you a fairly fast Internet Service. You can get different monthly plans depending on your usage, but as with any of the Cell plans, don't go over the monthly allotment as it gets pretty expensive per Gig.

If you have decent cell reception, 4G or better. Either of the carriers Verizon or AT&T will be better.

I have an AT&T unite as I can't get anything else either. I get a near true 12-15mb down. This is a pro an a CON, so pay close attention. They won't cut your speed if you go over your data allowance, but it WILL COST YOU!
I've found it very easy to go over my data limit, but I use internet A LOT! I can easily use upwards of 3-5 GB on my phone alone, not streaming movies and stuff like that. So, if you're a browse a page here kind of thing then you're golden.

Just watch your pc connections, as anything that connects uses data. Normally I use 20-40 mb an hour just browsing web pages. Some have video's that load everytime you change pages. Which has become quite common on certain sites. So just something to watch for. I've used 2gb of data in an hour browsing pages that load video constantly. Not just one video, but will load one and reload another continuously. So you're constantly downloading even if you don't refresh the page. And these are just ads, like a commercial. Don't you just love paid advertisements.

Disclaimer: I had Comcast for a number of years before I moved up to S. central PA, and based on the customer service I received for cable TV service, they'd have to pay me to use them as an ISP.

Now that's out of the way, I have one of the hot spots mentioned in several posts above; in my case, Verizon. 4G LTE service, and a 5 gig/month plan costs me $50. Fits in your pocket, so it can go anywhere if you want - internet at the track , anyone?, lol, the speed is great for both uploads and downloads, and no weather cutouts, come rain, snow sleet or hail. I'd like it to cost less, but taking into account cost, speed, and customer service, satellite isn't nearly as good a deal for me, and it's a lot less versatile, even when it's a faster. A 4G hotspot is great; it has its own phone number and works anywhere there is cell phone service (goodby to those weird and sometimes not so little charges for hotel/motel broadband services that are beginning to crop up); just keep it plugged in at home to keep the battery up, and whenever you head anywhere, it's ready to go - longer trip, just bring the charger with you.

Definitely look into a portable hot spot; cheaper than Hughes and a LOT more reliable and better customer service than Comcast.

Thanks guys. I have verizon wireless where I'm at. The best siginal I can get is 3g and that Ain't very good. I can get a hot spot through my phone with a different plan just don't think I have a good enough siginal.

If you don't have a 4G signal, you'r right, it's definitely not worth going with a hot spot. I've dealt (briefly) with 3G signals with my hot spot, and it's not that much better than dialup internet.

I hate Comcast too. But who else has close to 110 Miga-bytes-per-second download speed ?? I pay for it....and now of course they have decided to impose a 300gb per month cap (Which im upset about).
Please someone else step up.

Back