Seraph scale numbers

sparkmaker

Have a 2010 Seraph. Our scale percentages seem to be about what everybody is running as far as nose, left , and cross %, but what about individual wheel weights. When we were super fast we had both front wheels equaling the same weights on the scales . Didn't move any washers, and now the right front has lost several pounds.. About 10lbs difference now. Scaled with same tires and air pressures.

Any thoughts?

To make your two front wheel weights the same you have to have equal left and cross are the same. As for the change it could be a stagger/camber difference, or in the scales. That's all I can think of.

If the LF and RF are the same, the left and the cross are always going to be the same. I could be wrong, but I've never seen a weight percentage recommendations that had the front weight equal on both tires. Every weight distribution recommendation I can remember has the cross higher than the left.

Could it be that the frame has tweaked itself, causing the RF to get lighter? If the RF is lighter than the LF, than the Cross is going to be less Than the Left.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory.
(Al Nunley)

Have a 2010 Seraph. Our scale percentages seem to be about what everybody is running as far as nose, left , and cross %, but what about individual wheel weights.
the reason for giving out percentages is because different kart and driver combinations will/could scale with different corner weights. If one kart and driver scales at 350 pounds, and another kart and driver scales at 400 pounds, the individual corner weights will be different, but the front % and LS % and Cross % could be exactly the same. I have a spreadsheet called, "weight percent". You enter the kart/driver total weight, the front %, the left % and the cross % and it will give you the weight that is needed on each corner to achieve those percentages. If you change the kart/driver total weight, all the individual corner weights will change, but the percentages will stay exactly the same. If you leave the kart/driver weight the same, but change one or more of the percentages, some, or all, of the individual corner weights will change. For any combination of kart/driver total weight and percentages, the individual corners will always be the same. Or, if that is confusing, if the kart/driver weight is 400 pounds, and the percentages are, F 45%, LS 55%, C 60%, the individual corners are always going to be exactly the same. There's no way you can change one corner and not change one, or more, of the percentages.

You can also go the other way around. Enter the individual wheel weights you've measured and it will show you what percentages you now have, along with the total kart/driver weight.

If I'm reading you right, (and of course I'm only guessing) you have this idea that you can change the individual corner weights but keep the percentages the same. This is not the case. For instance; if you subtract five pounds from the LF, and add five pounds to the RF, while the kart/driver weight will not change, the percentages will change.

In my memory, all the setup percentages I've seen for flat karts had the LS lighter than the Cross. If your kart was setup in this way, the LF and RF could not be the same percentage.

(Al Nunley)

and al i have ran left side higher than cross and won also ran ls lower than cross and won there is no special setup i believe each track has it diff setup as do diff karts, drivers ,ect...ive ran a high banked wet track with i think 15 deg banking and had 54 left 60 cross ran well and on the other hand at a flat wet track ran 56 left with 50 cross or even less if memory serves me right 48 cross again ran very well just my opinion but worked for me and others as well.seems the newer karts want more ls and nose than just a few years ago like the seraph i have likes 47-48 nose with 58-59 left and usually low 60 ish cross

and al i have ran left side higher than cross and won also ran ls lower than cross and won there is no special setup i believe each track has it diff setup as do diff karts,
there is an exception to every rule, I guess. I can't remember exactly, (and I did say in "my memory") every set of percentages I've ever read. Getting old you know. I do remember that Champ karts often have the LS heavier than the Cross. In any case, thanks for the heads up.

(Al Nunley)

http://www.northlandtour.com/Pages/Scale.html copy and paste this into browser itll tell you all you need to know about corner weights

that's a nice piece of programming, well laid out and easy to use. Unfortunately, the numbers it comes up with are not right. Their close, maybe close enough so that they don't affect anything, but they're not right.

(Al Nunley)

Back