set up plates

jayo48

seen an ad for set up plates that you use in place of the tires when scaling. anyone use them? seems like a good idea, but never heard of anyone using them.

seen an ad for set up plates that you use in place of the tires when scaling. anyone use them? seems like a good idea, but never heard of anyone using them.

the plates you saw were more than likley "toe plates" You use them to get accurate Toe measurements with a tape measure. They will carry the weight of the kart on the floor or scale if you want to check toe with the kart loaded.

No, they are made for scaling. They have stagger built into them. It seems like a good concept, being that different sets of tires can change things. I was just curious if it's kind of a new thing, or it doesn't work.

I have seen these myself and think they would be very nice. There is no reason why it wouldn’t work and it would assure your baseline when scaling ,Question is what’s it worth to you. I saw them on TRJ karting. Brett and Bobby Hearn use and sell something like them made for the big block modifieds (Northeast center steer modifieds not big block karts).

No, they are made for scaling. They have stagger built into them. It seems like a good concept, being that different sets of tires can change things. I was just curious if it's kind of a new thing, or it doesn't work.

They may have them, never seen, but i wouldnt be using them. What about spring rates of tires and the contact patch of the rubber on the scale pads themself? Differing staggers? Different types of tires? Many variables. Numbers on something rigid would be too far askew from the real numbers.
I could see if you raced at 1 track and you played on the scales long enough to cross reference the number differences how it may work.

I could see the benefit, for largely the same reasons.
Setup stagger, chassis rake, spring rate, etc will be the same, regardless of temperature.

I would compare with different sets of tires to know the differences.

I think it would make it easier to identify if something changes. For example bent spindle,

Tire pressures, stagger, internal prep, even the cut on the tire, are all variables which can affect scale numbers.

Your mileage may vary.

I thought they were used for setting toe with driver in the kart and not worrying about tire deflection?

Back