Setting camber

It's just common sense. For instance. If you scale your kart, driver in and he's not wearing a helmet. He goes out and now you feel kart needs more cross. So you comeback put kart on scales. Now you add cross and go out again. Kart is fast as can be. When you come back to your pits you put kart back onto scales. You take notes write all numbers down. Do you do this with Helmet on or off?? You can do both. But write down numbers with and w/out. I Scale all my customers with no helmets on. Yes when you put a helmet on you will loose nose weight. But your making changes to a kart consistent. Make sense? Some people just don't get it.......
As to rear lead. You should square the kart set toe then more the rear axle. You should also under stand the difference between settings the rf toe out vs lf toe out.

Agreed common sense, few yes back I had my nephew in Jr rest Bad Fast at our track on an excentrik, he was small but taller, I switched another Kid smaller yet into an Excentrik with out him being present, put same numbers in it as my nephews kart, no driver added lead knowing difference in weight of the two, however because of this kid being real small raised the entire seat 3/4 " up and raised back of seat 3/4 " more, and kart was bad fast as well.

Point being don't think ya need some so called expert ( there are VERY few ) and don't be afraid to take Tony approach here some ,If you just take time to think it through and apply some common logic ya might be surprised it's not as confusing as it seems sometimes.

You its funny. I asked a simple question about setting camber, and its gone to different size drivers, to axle lead, and even castor. Wow, its nice that people can stay on subject.

You its funny. I asked a simple question about setting camber, and its gone to different size drivers, to axle lead, and even castor. Wow, its nice that people can stay on subject.

Wow that is kind of a crack on the people that were trying to help you! Some might not be so quick to offer up advice when you post up sarcastic remarks towards them.

When setting camber, is it more efficient to have the driver in or out of the kart.
Thanks

I grew up in Shelby also. Been gone for many years. Now for your question. It would be best to have driver in kart. On a level kart scales if possible That will give you the most accurate reading possible. Make sure that the kart is level and gauge is leveled to the stand.. That will give you the best readings. And most kart manufacturers and racers give out numbers with driver in kart. Most of the people that I know set everyhing with driver in kart. A few don't and seem to do OK. If that is not possible for any reason. Then set it without driver. Just keep in mind that it MAY change once driver gets in kart. The heavier your driver is the more it will change. Same is true with setting toe.
I know some that just go to the track and run a few laps and start adjusting right on the kart buggy and just keep adjusting stuff until it is super fast. Never put them on a set of scales.. Most people are not quite that good. I wish I was.
But if you get it handling like you want it to do. Then take a reading without driver is kart and that will be your go to numbers. They may be off from what others run that set % with driver in kart.

Set everything with the driver in it.not having a helmet on can change up to around .2 of nose weight.if you set toe without driver in it,at least check one time with driver in ,to see the difference.

Set everything with the driver in it.not having a helmet on can change up to around .2 of nose weight.if you set toe without driver in it,at least check one time with driver in ,to see the difference.
That's real Intelligence at work. If it changes with the driver in it, with his helmet, a mental note can be made. If it changes, and you have corrected your camber settings with that change in mind, the problem is solved. If you want -2.75, and you know with the driver in the kart, it will change it -.25, (or whatever) you set it at -2.50, (or whatever).

I know some that just go to the track and run a few laps and start adjusting right on the kart buggy and just keep adjusting stuff until it is super fast. Never put them on a set of scales.. Most people are not quite that good. I wish I was.

That's because you aren't racing scales at the race track. I see people all the time on and off scales and they never seem to be fast. Scales are starting points, scale them however you want, just be consistent.

At the track, be done with the scales! Tune the kart to what it needs.

Back