setting the toe

ttownwideglider

I dont have a accutoe syestem having to set toe with strait edge. squaring off the back tire and measuring into the front shouldnt I want to measure the front part of the tire then the back part of the tire to be as accurate as possible. I set the toe on it measuring from the front of the wheel then the back of the wheel and it looks like a lot more than 1/16". I know the distance of measuring will change the increment of the measurment. What I mean is I measured 1/16 at a 6" distance across the wheel if I go from front of tire to rear of tire thats 11.5" and the 1/16 will be closer to 1/8. Any help appreciated

If u have a good wheel on your rr and lr, u cld run a level from that wheel to the front wheel....I know phantom says to square the ls and toe out the rf, but not sure which kart u have or which they want this done on....maybe some others will chime in w/ other methods.

When I did it on my Sprint kart, I would take a pencil, spin the wheel and carefully touch it with a pencil. If you do it real carefully, on both wheels, (in the middle of each wheel if possible, but it's not real important.) you could measure across the front, then across the back, and you'll see what the toe is.

I always set my toe to 1/16 total toe in. (Each wheel being towed in 1/32nd.) My goal was for the toe in to take up the slack in the steering geometry. Theoretically, with the slack taken up, the wheels would be pointed straight ahead down the straight.

I've never raced dirt LTO, so anything I say is gonna be taken with the grain of salt, but I think people are obsessing way too much on toe. The way I look at it, the moment you turn the wheel, because of Ackermann steering, the toe has absolutely no effect in the turns. And though I can't prove it, I can't help but think that down the straights, because of the stagger causing the kart to want to turn left, you turn the wheel to the right and any toe you put into the right front tire, gets divided between the two front wheels. Can't prove any of this but you might think about it.

Even though I don't race LTO, and I don't expect anybody to listen to me, I'm thinking; spending money on any of this expensive, "toe setting equipment" is going to be way way down on my list of places to spend my money.

Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

Just the oposite James at PRC says square the left and 1/16 toe out on right. I think iam on the right track with the measurement coming on the entire width of the tire instead of across just the width of the wheel. The whole tire is what is being toe out so that should be right.

Just the oposite James at PRC says square the left and 1/16 toe out on right. I think iam on the right track with the measurement coming on the entire width of the tire instead of across just the width of the wheel. The whole tire is what is being toe out so that should be right.
are you sure he's not saying square the left front wheel, (meaning pointed straight ahead)? I'm pretty sure when somebody said square the right side they meant the right front and right rear were squared to each other. On the other hand I might be misunderstanding both of you. lol

If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory.(Al Nunley)

Al, Phantom has been telling customers to square the left side and toe out the rf I know since the seraph has been released, maybe even for the icon but not quite sure....but that is what they recommend.

Al, Phantom has been telling customers to square the left side and toe out the rf I know since the seraph has been released, maybe even for the icon but not quite sure....but that is what they recommend.
I'm a little dense sometimes; what does "square the left side" mean? I understand toe out the RF, that's easy.

If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory.(Al Nunley)

By "squaring the left" they(Phantom) mean that the lf and lr are pointing exactly the same (in line with each other) and the rf is toed out 1/16" John

Yes I recently talked with James at PRC and what they recommend is LF & LR squared ( these tires both point straight ) RF is to be toe'd out 1/16". The reason has to do with the scrub radius. Note PRC has been great to me every time I call them, they have been very helpful and pleasant to deal with.

Hey guys I just figured out another way to check the toe settings. I used a 12" strait edge out of a tee square and layed it squared and paralled to the spindel block thats welded to the kart. The right side was easier becuse of the 10* castor rolling the pivoting block down enough to lay the strait edge on top on top of it and measure back to the wheel. On the left side I had to remove the king pin nut and square off of the back side of the castor pivot block and measure back to the wheel. I then checked it with a 4' level off of the rear wheel to the front and came up very close to the same. I believe that using the spindal blocks is much more accurate becuse of the distsance from front to back it is easier to get off some. Try this method and see how it works, becuse the spindal blocks have to be mounted square to the chassis when welded in place.

At first look it seems your right. That would be simple. The question arises, Are the spindle blocks square to the axle as built? Or even each other, I think one is in front of the other as well.
Did you tape it from wheel too wheel , as a check?

No i didnt check it wheel to wheel, but I will.The check from the back wheel to the front with a 4' strait edge came out very close. The spindal blocks have to be square with the axel or the kart will never setup right and will dogleg because there is already toe in or toe out. As far as one side being ahead of the other that will not affect anything with the toe.

Now I'm really confused? I have always kept my RS 0 and my LS 1/16" Toe Out. Atleast on my Icon if you look at the set up sheet on line this confirms the same thing. If that is wrong then I have been incorrect for a couple of years now...

Now I'm really confused? I have always kept my RS 0 and my LS 1/16" Toe Out. Atleast on my Icon if you look at the set up sheet on line this confirms the same thing. If that is wrong then I have been incorrect for a couple of years now...
yep been that way for a good while. its the great debate of toe.

Not sure about the Icon but James told me the Seraph and the Triton both set up square left and 1/16 out right. Seems backwards but thats what he said and posted on here in another thread. I checked the toe measuring from wheel to wheel and it came out dead on at 1/16 toe out. Something to remember about measuring is with all the camber in the right side you need to make measurements at 9 and three oclock and be sure to do the same with the left side. Any up or down varance will cause a difference in your readings.

Make the lf straight up and toe out the rf and forget about it. Theres a reason for that, and also a reason why other companies are beginning to reccomend the same setting.

I just set up chassis so tried the ruluer trick, lft frt came out good, right frt not so much. checked it against accu toe. Your results may vary.
Mitch ya really need to get you a laser.

Back