Setting valve springs

Hyder

Can someone give me some tips. I use yellow and red stripe 10.8 valve springs. How are you guys setting them to 10.8. I’ve taking them down to coil bind to get them to land at 10.8 at 850 but it takes all the tension out the spring and they won’t turn the RPM

I don't think sanding is the correct term .
More like sanding on a powered disc sander .
Like this . Lay the spring on the table square .
Preferably with a internal guide . Press against the disc with a # scale and guide set at . 850 . Sand till it reads 10.8.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240314-191051.png
    Screenshot_20240314-191051.png
    191 KB · Views: 9
the real way is to get the tech tool. too bad it's $395+ shipping you can get the yellow stripe springs pre set from Box stock project.

Preferably with an internal guide . Press against the disc with a # scale and guide set at . 850 . Sand till it reads 10.8.
the real way is to get the tech tool. too bad it's $395+ shipping you can get the yellow stripe springs pre set from Box stock project.
I have the spring tester and an intercomp tester as well. I will check out the box stock project

Preferably with a internal guide . Press against the disc with a # scale and guide set at . 850 . Sand till it reads 10.8.
Theres been many builders in my shop, and ive known many others throughout my years with the Tri State and other big events and am friends with some of the best in the business and they all said sanding the spring, may not be the correct term but they all said it. Im not sure if there is any actual other term for it.

Theres been many builders in my shop, and ive known many others throughout my years with the Tri State and other big events and am friends with some of the best in the business and they all said sanding the spring, may not be the correct term but they all said it. Im not sure if there is any actual other term for it.
Perhaps .
Power Sanding .
;)

I use a bench grinder. Using the side of the stone. Problem is with todays springs once you get the 10.8 correct the 18 lb is off or viser versis

I use a bench grinder. Using the side of the stone. Problem is with todays springs once you get the 10.8 correct the 18 lb is off or viser versis
Yeah I just have to be 10.8 at 850 install. Problem I been having is having to sand to much getting the lower and upper to thin. Maybe I can sand them then leave the tech weight on them for a bit and keep checking, or run them a few heat cycles to see if they drop.

Today’s springs are problematic. When you get the 18 where you want it the 10.8 will be to light. If you get the 10.8 right chances are the 18 will be off. Cycling the spring in an engine helps helps but that is time consuming. I have gone through every method I can think of to compress the spring without putting it in the engine to see if I could get it where I wanted it, and nothing works. If the big builders have discovered way to do that they’re keeping it to themselves.

Heat cycles .Might be best to put them in a engine and let it run for 15 minutes at say 3000 rpm . before any testing or adjustmnts .

IMO the springs are an issue and have cost many a racer. we have tried on the dyno several types of springs including illegal 10.8 with no HP advantage. we should just go to height, diameter of wire, and number of coils and be done with it.

IMO the springs are an issue and have cost many a racer. we have tried on the dyno several types of springs including illegal 10.8 with no HP advantage. we should just go to height, diameter of wire, and number of coils and be done with it.
Are track has talked about drop in red springs. But the issue some members have is the other tracks they run don’t follow suit, so they complain about pulling springs. Are clone class runs 212 motors flat top pistons .040 longer billet rods and a Mod 2 cam, combustion chambers open no porting but can mill the heads. Springs I had before Covid hit I ran for 3 seasons no joke no issues, now I’m lucky to get 6 races out of them.

Back