Shipping Rant

flattop1

Dawg 89
Fedx charged 27.72 for a brake disc and hub . 9/8/2 inch package, 3.1 #. In Iowa . Probably 4 counties away .
I just shipped a 23# engine to TX for 80$ a reed jet pipe 35$ probably 24/24/5". To tx . From Ia.
(Edit: the brake disc could have shipped 9$ . ). Of course I went straight to USPS ,from fed-x . 9.12 $ for samething .
I've had issues with USPS . But guess I'm going to get over it pretty quick . :oops::geek:

Last edited:
Fedx charged 27.72 for a brake disc and hub . 9/8/2 inch package, 3.1 #. In Iowa . Probably 4 counties away .
I just shipped a 23# engine to TX for 80$ a reed jet pipe 35$ probably 24/24/5". To tx . From Ia.
Of course I went straight to USPS . 9.12$ for samething .
I've had issues with USPS . But guess I'm going to get over it pretty quick . :oops::geek:
I hear you!

Did you ship the pipe parcel post? How long did it take to get there?

We're still waiting on several packages from USPS (everything from customer engines to a cd purchased on ebay.) USPS recently changed how they handle packages (at least in our area) and they reopened a sorting center for packages only about 30 minutes north of us. Now, our local post office only receives envelope mail - all packages come to us from this new package center - which is managing to lose a LOT of packages. 3 or 4 are being traced as I type. One package that was redelivered a week later had checked on it that the "business was closed." Hmmm, that's not the case - we're here, the lights are on, and the door's open with hours marked on the door. Go figure he didn't want to get out of his mini-van that day I guess. Somehow driving packages (including small ones like a cd!) from 30 minutes away doesn't seem to be economically feasible to me. What do I know, I've only tried to keep our business going for 35 years. But I guess if you're operating on taxpayer dollars, you're not worried if you run over budget.

We ship FedEx, but they are so desperate for employees that they'll hire anyone with a heartbeat who shows up to work is my guess. Their professionalism has gone way downhill (at least since covid) and their services continue to rise in price (even to those of us with commercial accounts with them.) They lost a small package of tire bits a few weeks ago - doesn't even show they were scanned - so they've got to be on the truck still or at our local center. We shipped a replacement package last night that should arrive there today -- it's 2 hours away from us!

UPS rates are higher on most packages, so that's not really an alternative either. We don't have Spee-Dee here in Indiana, but from what I've been told, they've gone downhill and up in prices now too. I'm guessing that all these carriers are struggling with the same issues - employees and fuel prices. <- Joe Did That!

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
35 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I feel ya on shipping costs. I shipped out a set of cassettes( no bearings) from Indiana to Alabama and it ran me 18 bucks through usps. Price was high but cheaper than ups or FedEx. On a positive note I don't have a set of cassettes for a chassis I no longer own in my track box. Lol

USPS logistics are terrible .
Several times I have tracked packages . Leave the shipping area bounce around different cities then arrive at destination location area . Only too go back to the original shipping location to start all over again . Then its 50/50 if it ever arrives where it's supposed to with big delays . Now if it's a Amazon package , top notch , no problem service direct too you in three days or less .

The sketchy people they hire for delivery services these days. Allot of packages get opened up or thrown away. All part of the collapse of society some people are pushing hard for.

Shipped an engine USPS in a big box $60 only took two days. unless you have an account with FedEx or USPS its the biggest rip. had UPS quote me $500 to ship a light weight box.

Shipped a flathead from CT to TN for $29.24 via UPS

1709831955758.png

you used that pirate ship?
Yes sir, I use it for everything I ship. They also have additional insurance you can purchase. I had some parts get damaged in a shipment where I had purchased their additional insurance and was able to get refunded for the damaged items.

1709832243471.png

I feel ya on shipping costs. I shipped out a set of cassettes( no bearings) from Indiana to Alabama and it ran me 18 bucks through usps. Price was high but cheaper than ups or FedEx. On a positive note I don't have a set of cassettes for a chassis I no longer own in my track box. Lol

Those wouldnt fit in a free, flat rate box?

Back