Skip-Tooth sprockets

I have one possible answer, it's something new, and the theory is thought to be plausible, so why not.

My theory is; the last fully engaged tooth is carrying probably 95% of the load, the second tooth is carrying, just a guess, the other 5% of the load. The rest of the teeth are just there, doing nothing except holding the chain in line with the sprocket, keeping the chain from falling off. I have no hard data to prove this, it's just my theory. In conclusion, skip tooth is just a selling gimmick, something new. The idea that it reduces friction, I think is bogus, because there is no friction after the first 1 1/2 - 2 fully engaged teeth. There is no load and no movement of the chain links past the first two fully engaged teeth. No movement no load no friction no power loss. That's my theory, what yours

I've never had any issues with skip tooths in race conditions, I still use a few of the blue Tomar skips from my first year in 2006.

All we use is skip tooth Rocket Sprockets.
Never any problems with them. Pretty much got two seasons out of one gear set that we used 99% of that time and wouldn't hesitate to continue running it more if needed.
Personally, I think skip tooth are an advantage. How much? Probably immeasureable; like say ceramic bearings, air filters, oil, carbon fiber, and aerodynamics. I figure I'll take all the halves of tenths that I can accumulate.
If nothing else, an advantage perceived is an advantage achieved. My driver is more confident and that's worth a tenth or two.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
27 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

We mainly use the gold PMI skip tooth sprockets, though I've bought a few Nitro Gears and I really like them too.

they do not make them for our current application, but when we did run them, it was because the brand we were buying, ricket, i think, didnt cost any more, and i percieved that less contact are ould equal less drag in the chain. Would it be noticeable or measurable? Probably nt in our program. I dont think we were at that leverl, but since there was no extra cost and i couldnt see any downside, then why not ? So we had a few in our "baseline" range at our favorite track

Could there be an advantage on oval vs. sprint with all the differences in weight shift, constant chain tension in oval vs. on and off acceleration in sprint...etc?

Back