skipped tooth gears

curtracer

Whats the deal with skipped tooth gearing . Is ther an advantage or what are the disadvantages. Not talking about the Excel system.

Supposedly there is less friction between the gear and chain because there is less contact area.
I've only tried a few, so I'm not claiming to be an expert on them. I don't have a good way to measure that friction.
But I haven't seen any difference in lap times on my stopwatch, between skip-tooth and regular gears. Maybe I would if I raced on big fast tracks against the "pros", but I race mostly on smaller tracks against club type competition.

So for the money do you think there better or worse ? What appealed to me was the price and my thought was less contact on chain less wear on chain ? Maybe?

new gears are 9 bucks so not really a life altering purchase. you can look at it this way with wear you can have 60 points pulling or 30 with twice the load on them . 6 of one half dozen of the other

Here's the way I evaluate new "trick" products: speed improvement, reliability improvement, cost - but not necessarily in that order. You may have other priorities.
For skip-tooth gears: Speed improvement = couldn't measure any. Reliability = didn't try them enough to know for sure, but less surface area handling all of the pressure makes me nervous. Cost = not enough difference to worry about. My decision? I still buy regular gears, but will buy a skip-tooth gear at the track when I really want a size I don't have and that's all the parts truck has.

Keep in mind the bubblegum on the windshield syndrome, also ; that says that if someone has a wad of bubblegum stuck to their windshield this week and wins, half the field will have a wad of bubblegum stuck on their windshield in a similar location next week. So if you have a skiptooth sprocket on and run better, your opponents will start to wonder, lol - then there will be a run on skip tooth sprockets at the parts truck.

I have a bunch of them - they work fine, and while the theory makes sense, like other posters above, I've never been able to quantify any improvement in performance due to the skip tooth sprocket.

Thanks was just currious did find a box of them hidden on the parts trailor .half off sticker . Got em gonnacrun them.

When they first hit the scene, it was explained to me that they were initially intended for qualifying. Times change and those running them on lower HP applications have been more commonplace.

(1) When used as a high HP qualifying gear, "maybe" a difference.
(2) When used on low HP applications, probably no difference whatsoever.

JMHO -Alan-

Back