Small diameter flywheel?

Wonder how that little flywheel in my weedwacker keeps up with little flywheel it has....how about the old Mcculloch? I'm sure your old Mccullochs reved higher than a clone. Just makes me wonder.
The head and cord have a lot to do with the momentum of the weed whacker, how well does it work when the cord breaks? Try to tune a lawnmower without the blade on it, the blade is part of the flywheel momentum.

"More" good subject matter here! It would be interesting too hear what some of the 'programable ignition' guru's could add too this....or, some 'here' could 'add' too them...:) 'Good Stuff'!

I think the important message here is when you reduce the diameter of your flywheel you change a bunch of stuff. Not all the changes are positive. However , If you decide to go down this road then you can do the same with your clutch, like an X5 . Now by reducing both the clutch diameter and the flywheel, you have a better chance of a positive outcome..

Now , I believe the slower mag speed of the smaller diameter wheel slows down coil saturation and will retard the spark even farther than our stock system does by itself at higher rpms.. That could be why I get slightly higher rpms out of the larger wheels..This is just speculation on my part ...And PLEASE , I'm on vacation in Vegas . Cut me some slack here.

The flywheel issue has been beat to death, but it all comes down to application in the end. I lost some top end when I went to an aluminum flywheel, but the extra off-the-turn zip x 18 turns(asphalt sprint track), made for faster lap times on my track. If I was on a big momentum oval track I'd mount a steelie for sure.

Many times I've heard that the KT 100 retards at higher RPMs, but I tested it, under a load, on my dyno and I'm here to tell you it does not retard. Not from 10,000 RPM up at least. It doesn't advance either.

Many times I've heard that the KT 100 retards at higher RPMs, but I tested it, under a load, on my dyno and I'm here to tell you it does not retard. Not from 10,000 RPM up at least. It doesn't advance either.
Hey Al , did ya ever "Maverick" (float the points) the ignition on a Mac ? Can't do it on a yamy , they don't have points..

I may be 'errored', but arn't we talking 'apples and oranges'....ie; 2-stroke/4-stroke? Then again...what do I know, if asked....IDK!

Well thanks guy's for all the info. I have made my mind up I'm gonna stay with the 6619. It is lighter than the 6618. And the 6607 is only a few OZ lighter than the 6619 plus I dont want to deal with small diameter changes. And I have my timing on with the 6619 so really I don't think there's much to be gained from changing the wheel.

Back