snapped a ARP rod bolt

hwater85

I had removed the crank on a 212 predator to do some clearance grinding for a new cam and on reassembly i snapped one of the rod bolts. i had both bolts to 155 inch lbs , but when i tried to take them to 170 the bottom bolt snapped. Motor had 30 laps on it. Did i do something wrong or is this normal? arc rod with arp bolts

I've had it happen... it's a _______ when it does! If you can use a drill press and an easy out to pull it out... And re try...

I torque them 14 ft lbs, and use ARP Ultra Moly lube on the threads and the shoulder of the bolt. I would get a new set of bolts.. (make sure your torque wrench is right too)

Did you oil the threads

Yes, i had the bolts lubed with 30w oil. Did everything by ARC instructions and watched Jody's u tube video. The bolt wasnt hard to get out. I picked up some bolts from a local engine builder that worked great. They both went to 170 inch lbs with no problems. Gonna race it today, hope it all stays together!!

You sure you weren't reading foot pounds? Im joking but I've never heard of a rod bolt snapping on torquing up.

I had a ARP 2000 bolt that felt weird when torqueing (In a 434ci Small Block Chevy).. I had checked a few bolts for stretch, to determine the torque needed as always.. I backed the bolt off..set the stretch gauge, and it would stretch like .008 at around 50lbs... I had to get a new bolt, that's the only time I have had something like that happen with a good bolt. But, on a side note.. I did find that regular moly lube wont work on Titanium rods.. you have to have a special lube... just a FYI..LOL

Back