So how much of the World Formula is made in the states ?

kartracer_3

I was under the impression it was made in the USA because on the Briggs site it states that the WF is hand built in Milwaukee. I am working on building a kart with almost everything made in the US, maybe 100% but we will see how this works out. It would be a shame to bolt on a China made motor. I will dust off my old flat head before I do that.

As much as I would love to hear that you have made your kart project from 100% USA content, probably not going to happen unless you hand build most of it. For a long time US companies have been using content from oversees. I would bet that a lot of your car or truck you drive has some content made outside the US. Also almost everything you come in contact with in your daily life is not 100% made in US. Sad but true and what is our unemployment rate today? The advantage Briggs has is they have the corporate infrastructure to control the manufacturing and quality of their out sourced components to protect their customers so they get good quality. This is not always true when you buy products made oversees without really knowing who all was involved in those products or components. I do understand that countries like China have made a lot of progress in their manufactured quality, rightly so they were trained in many cases by the US corporations, Dr. Deming!, and they in many cases use the same manufacturing equipment the US companies use. This shift from US to oversees started happening back in the 70's and never stopped moving in that direction. I remember General Motors was the last big US car company to start buying oversees products and look where they ended up going! Chapter 11!
I agree with you 100% that 100% USA would be great but.......................

JMO
Steve

Last edited:
Well Steve I know the chassis will be made in America 100 % and that's a pretty good start. When I go adding things like bearings is where I will run into trouble. I am just wondering how many parts inside a WF are made over seas.

Last edited:
If you are going to race, you will be using some parts made off shore.
Get the best stuff, if you want to win races....regardless of it's point of origin.

Thanks PD but I don't see anything wrong with wanting things made in the USA. I have won races before and championships with very little parts or pieces from over seas being involved. Now I am just wondering about the WF . Is it stocked full of made in China parts ? I owned one a few years back but never took it a part or had to order any parts for it. I only ran it 2 races and sold it because I could not get a class of them going at my local track. I loved the engine, wished now I had never sold it . I should have tried harder to get a class going but I did not want to run with the opens.

Dave Klaus could give the "final" answer on this, but I believe the rod and piston might be about the only parts "made" in the USA. When you look at the parts bags for the individual parts, very few are actually made in the USA. It is however assembled in the USA.

Thanks Jamie , yes I read on the Briggs site that they are at least assembled in the US. Do you think it is about the same deal with the Animal ?

Yes, pretty much the same. If you go into a shop that has the parts individually boxed/bagged, take a look. All of them have the country of origin printed on the box/bag. This is the "global" economy we live in now that some wanted. The "free trade" put a LOT of good people and a LOT of good companies out of business. When all of this happened, you could buy whole machine shops for scrap metal prices. Pretty sad.

OK Jamie thanks for reply , Kinda what I figured. I would go check it out for myself but the four kart shops in my area have long since went out of business. The 5 kart tracks in my area no longer run. Most of the folks I know that used to race karts are now racing RC cars. It might take me a little longer this time to get back into karting , probably a full year but when I do I am going to make sure I buy as much made in the USA products, parts and accessories as possible.

kartracer_3: A commendable effort, and probably a larger task to buy domestic-only, than one might think? Heck, there are so many imported things we come in contact daily, and even the labeling can be deceiving. Buying a car made in the USA might just create a global geography lesson, as to where all the parts & pieces came from. Guessing well over 15 nations would be represented, when inventorying parts that make up a Chevy Impala?

Gonzari, thanks for the reply but I am not talking about cars. In fact I am not talking about anything but karts for now. I realize that when you pop the hood on a car you will probably see parts made from all over the world. All I am trying to do is put together a kart racing out fit that is made up of parts , pieces and products that are made in the USA. No offense but every time I bring this up folks want to talk about TV's , Automobiles , food at the grocery store, etc. Folks believe it or not there are still things made in America and it does make a difference. Here is just one site dedicated to things Made here in the states. http://www.madeintheusa.com/

Thank you very much Jack Burroughs . Do you have any of the names of the companies that make bearings in Connecticut ?

Will do , I sort of moved this to the general part of this forum since Jamie pretty much already answered my question. If anyone has anything to add feel free. thanks ya'll

Can someone give me the model of spark plug used in the World Formula?
I cannot find one in a parts store, and have no idea how to get that information.
Thanks.

Back