So...where can I buy a TaG race kart...?

Formosa kid

Hi guys. Im pretty new to karting world so dont flame me if this is a stupid question. So Im a 24 yrs old guy and would like to start go kart racing with my son and nephews. So I might start doing TaG first. problem is I dont know where Ican buy a TaG kart. Is it better to buy parts and build it or just buy a kart and start racing. please let me know. thx guys.

TaG is a pretty big handful if you have never raced anything before. I would look to see if your local track has a LO206 class. They are really taking off quickly. Cheaper, simpler, more competition, and less maintenance. You can run the same chassis s the LO206 classes and add a TaG motor later when and if you are ready to move on. I have 23 years experience in cars, 3 more in dirt karts, and just starting in TaG. I have some learning to do yet. Not as easy of a transition as I thought it would be.

That being said, look at Craigslist Charlotte NC usually has a selection, eBay usually has a few, and ekartingnews forum usually has something. Don't forget to look here on Bobs under Asphalt Racing for sale forum.

I tend to agree with racer47, you might want to get your feet wet with something a bit more simple and slower. The 206 is all of that and more.
As far as Tag's go, you can check out the ekarting news forums under their Tag section.
I might also suggest VERY highly, go to the track you intend to race at and get a feel for what they run and what is popular there. You'll also get to meet the vendors who support that facility as well. In fact---do not buy ANYTHING until you visit your local track!!!
Hope we were of some help,
Clark Gaynor Sr.

TaG is a pretty big handful if you have never raced anything before. I would look to see if your local track has a LO206 class. They are really taking off quickly. Cheaper, simpler, more competition, and less maintenance. You can run the same chassis s the LO206 classes and add a TaG motor later when and if you are ready to move on. I have 23 years experience in cars, 3 more in dirt karts, and just starting in TaG. I have some learning to do yet. Not as easy of a transition as I thought it would be.

That being said, look at Craigslist Charlotte NC usually has a selection, eBay usually has a few, and ekartingnews forum usually has something. Don't forget to look here on Bobs under Asphalt Racing for sale forum.

I used to do a little bit of track racing in Asia and a bit karting too but the rules and class here in the state are kinda different from what I used to know so Im a bit confused. Anyway...Do you guys suggest to buy a used kart or new kart? If so what budget should I set to? thx

Buy new if you have the budget and plan on staying in it for the long run. Buy used if you are just trying it out. A new LO206 turn key can be had for around $3300. TaG ?? I guess it all depends on how fast you wanna go ! A used LO206 setup can be found probably as low as $1500 and a used TaG probably around $2000 for 10 year old equipment. Obviously, the newer the more expensive.

Buy new if you have the budget and plan on staying in it for the long run. Buy used if you are just trying it out. A new LO206 turn key can be had for around $3300. TaG ?? I guess it all depends on how fast you wanna go ! A used LO206 setup can be found probably as low as $1500 and a used TaG probably around $2000 for 10 year old equipment. Obviously, the newer the more expensive.

I tried looking for TaG kart but Im kinda confused. What kind of kart models are consider TaG class? Margay? Brava? what does these mean?

Most all chassis makers make a kart that can run in the TaG class. Just make sure you get an adult or senior chassis. I am not familiar with all of the names that the manufacturers use. It was very confusing to me as well. I got lucky I found one at a fair price. Good Luck !

Formosa kid, I sent you a PM.
But a very rough idea of new Tag setup values.
DR or Praga, single rear brake, 30mm chassis, 50mm axles=$3200; X30/Leopard engine package including the radiator= $3200; Mychron gauge= $550; Bridgestone/MG/Vega tires=$225 misc stuff, chain, sprocket carrier, rear gear, linkage,etc= 250. So, give or take for all new stuff you're looking at about $7-8000. Very good used, maybe one or two years old, good engine builder, good chassis for parts availability, etc, $4-5000, OK used, $3000, get what you pay for, less then $2000.

Other thing to think about. Do the tracks where you intend to run have a Tag (Rotax, Leopard, X30, etc) class? It's VERY unlikely a kart which is right for you will work for a junior driver (wrong size and not legal). Where do you live? What classes does your local track(s) support? How old are the junior drivers? GO TO YOU LOCAL TRACK BEFORE YOU BUY ANYTHING!!!!!
I PMed my phone number, so call if you wish.
Have fun and good luck.
Clark Gaynor Sr.

TaG just stands for Touch and Go. It has an electric starter with on board battery. They use different engines depending on track/series/sanctioning body. They are usually a water cooled 125cc 2 cycle engine. There are a ton of variations in engines and engine packages and not all engines will be legal for all tracks. Need to go the track you plan on racing at and figure out what they require 1st. Any of the newer sprint racing karts are usually TaG engine compatible. The engine are around $2500-4500 new. If you get a new chassis and engine expect to spend around $7000-10000 depending on the brand and engine. Used equipment can be had for cheap if you find someone who is getting out of racing. That would be the easiest way to start since you usually can get all the required specialty tools and equipment with it for a song. Just make sure it will be legal to your intended track's rules or you might get an unpleasant surprise.

Back