Spares and extras?

Lambert

I’ve been using the search function a lot. I’ve learned a ton from here and this community is a gold mine of knowledge. One of the things I am looking for I haven’t really been able to find.
This season my 14yr old daughter will be racing for the first time. We are COMPLETELY new to this sport. We come from a motocross and cross country racing background. So this flat oval is foreign to us. Got her a kart, a few sets of tires and a few predator engines.
My question is what do we need to have in the trailer. What spare parts, equipment or tools are something that’s a have to have at the track? What are ones that aren’t have to’s but handy to have? Again we will be running a beginner or rookie rookie predator class at eastern Ky tracks (Clay City and Willards) and a blue plate class in Southern Ohio tracks (Wheelersburg and Farmers) I’ve learned tire prep is one of the biggest things in kart racing but Is it something needed for predator classes like these? Or do we just need to make sure we have a good tire wash for now? All the tracks are Burris 33a’s.
Appreciate any info yall got!

Prep will be needed for any class.
Spare parts......basically another kart in spare parts minus a chassis.
Always cheaper to buy away from the track.
What's on this site doesn't compare to what was lost during the 2013 crash

I’ve been using the search function a lot. I’ve learned a ton from here and this community is a gold mine of knowledge. One of the things I am looking for I haven’t really been able to find.
This season my 14yr old daughter will be racing for the first time. We are COMPLETELY new to this sport. We come from a motocross and cross country racing background. So this flat oval is foreign to us. Got her a kart, a few sets of tires and a few predator engines.
My question is what do we need to have in the trailer. What spare parts, equipment or tools are something that’s a have to have at the track? What are ones that aren’t have to’s but handy to have? Again we will be running a beginner or rookie rookie predator class at eastern Ky tracks (Clay City and Willards) and a blue plate class in Southern Ohio tracks (Wheelersburg and Farmers) I’ve learned tire prep is one of the biggest things in kart racing but Is it something needed for predator classes like these? Or do we just need to make sure we have a good tire wash for now? All the tracks are Burris 33a’s.
PM sent

Since you are just starting out here is what I would bring. Any spare parts you have currently to include lugnuts, rear gears, front drivers for clutch, extra clutch, tires, spindles if you have them, 1 set each of standard long and shorty sockets 3/8 drive with at leat a 6 in extension, 1 set of metric sockets( I prefer 1/4 in drive to use on engine), 1 set of metric and sae wrenches( bring a few extra 10 mm wrenches, air tank or tire inflator, tire Guage, stagger tape, notebook, hammer, zip ties, duct tape, 1 set of metric and sae Allen wrenches, and several screwdrivers. As far as tire prep I would call Brian Carlson and get on his prep line or another tire guru. This will help save you time and money chasing those precious tenths of a second.

Since you are just starting out here is what I would bring. Any spare parts you have currently to include lugnuts, rear gears, front drivers for clutch, extra clutch, tires, spindles if you have them, 1 set each of standard long and shorty sockets 3/8 drive with at leat a 6 in extension, 1 set of metric sockets( I prefer 1/4 in drive to use on engine), 1 set of metric and sae wrenches( bring a few extra 10 mm wrenches, air tank or tire inflator, tire Guage, stagger tape, notebook, hammer, zip ties, duct tape, 1 set of metric and sae Allen wrenches, and several screwdrivers. As far as tire prep I would call Brian Carlson and get on his prep line or another tire guru. This will help save you time and money chasing those precious tenths of a second.
Thanks for all that info! I exactly what I was looking for. Much appreciated

Prep will be needed for any class.
Spare parts......basically another kart in spare parts minus a chassis.
Always cheaper to buy away from the track.
What's on this site doesn't compare to what was lost during the 2013 crash
Appreciate the info!

Far be it for me to contradict any of the knowledgeable contributors who have offered advice before, but let me add my two-cents.

Go to the track without a clue.

I spent a year after I bought a kart for my son trying to prepare for any contingency, building out a trailer full of spare parts we would "need". In my mind I to be ready. Instead, we showed up and I was all wrong and everything I tried made it worse
But the other parents at the track fixed it all, and my son got to run. By increments we learned. After the first few months we got a handle on what had to be in the trailer.

Don't rush the project and assume you need a NASCAR hauler full of tools before you start. Go have fun in the back of a truck with a socket set and some zip ties.

If they want to keep racing, be ready to light dollar bills on fire.😂

When getting started, a data recorder is essential, pricey but worth it; Mychron is the unit we use. I use ratcheting wrenches more often than sockets, but both are almost essential. Plus, grab a set of Allen wrenches with T handles, too. I use them a lot. A deadweight hammer and a spool of locking wire are good to have. Get c-clip pliers because you will need them for bearing and axle work. A small fire extinguisher and a box of paper rags come in handy. Get a chain breaker because karts don't use master links. A 3/8" battery-operated drill will come in handy. Get a set of metric wrenches because Predators don't use English fasteners. Then go out and have fun!

When getting started, a data recorder is essential, pricey but worth it; Mychron is the unit we use. I use ratcheting wrenches more often than sockets, but both are almost essential. Plus, grab a set of Allen wrenches with T handles, too. I use them a lot. A deadweight hammer and a spool of locking wire are good to have. Get c-clip pliers because you will need them for bearing and axle work. A small fire extinguisher and a box of paper rags come in handy. Get a chain breaker because karts don't use master links. A 3/8" battery-operated drill will come in handy. Get a set of metric wrenches because Predators don't use English fasteners. Then go out and have fun!
2-year noob here. Weve only ran EK master link chains and have never had one fail. I guess you learn something new every day haha. One of the best things i bought was a good set of Allen wrenches. We started out with craftsman and they were too loose fitting and rouned out a lot of fasteners. Using Wiha now.

2-year noob here. Weve only ran EK master link chains and have never had one fail. I guess you learn something new every day haha. One of the best things i bought was a good set of Allen wrenches. We started out with craftsman and they were too loose fitting and rouned out a lot of fasteners. Using Wiha now.
Very fortunate you've never had any problems with using a master link! Great chain but I'd recommend tossing the master link that comes with it

the links with safety wire are more secure then the spring clip.
the spring clips need installed with the open end trailing .
Its a situation where its not a problem till it is .

Another vote for tossing the master.
They will let you down, not an if....when.

the links with safety wire are more secure then the spring clip.
the spring clips need installed with the open end trailing .
Its a situation where its not a problem till it is .

Yeah that's how we run it with the open end to the rear.
Very fortunate you've never had any problems with using a master link! Great chain but I'd recommend tossing the master link that comes with it
Yeah now that I mentioned it all I'll have is problems now 😄

Far be it for me to contradict any of the knowledgeable contributors who have offered advice before, but let me add my two-cents.

Go to the track without a clue.

I spent a year after I bought a kart for my son trying to prepare for any contingency, building out a trailer full of spare parts we would "need". In my mind I to be ready. Instead, we showed up and I was all wrong and everything I tried made it worse
But the other parents at the track fixed it all, and my son got to run. By increments we learned. After the first few months we got a handle on what had to be in the trailer.

Don't rush the project and assume you need a NASCAR hauler full of tools before you start. Go have fun in the back of a truck with a socket set and some zip ties.

If they want to keep racing, be ready to light dollar bills on fire.😂
Got it. Zip ties, socket set and a lighter! 🔥

Back