Spindle build and kpi

FULLOFQUESTIONS

What would I expect if I.....

Race with a LF 5 degree spindle and RF 10 degree spindle, then put on a RF 5 degree spindle. same setup same camber/caster?

With the 5 degree spindle on the RF when cornering you will see more negative camber gain at the rf. On a hard biting race track the 5 degree will help unload the LR. Almost like running lower cross weight. With the 5 degree spindle you can run the rf tire flatter (closer to 0 camber) for better roll speed. This is just my opinons, id love to see what other people have expericed. When and why they changed the KPI

Lets ask if you are racing on a flat track no banking asphalt dirt or indoor syrup etc. IS it better to go with a lower KPI spindle degree since you are running lower cambers. Like you said im theory it should help with roll speed and help unload the LR which is waht most of us try to obtain mostly anyway? Would you be able to run LESS caster with said 5* spindle since it will show more negative camber gain? For a banked track mid to high what Spindle would you prefer to go with 10-12*?

There are three things you are discussing; kingpin inclination, camber and caster.

What is an LF 5 degree spindle? This may sound like a dumb question to you, but humor me.

The reason I ask is, a 5 degree change in kingpin inclination seems like a lot, a 5 degree change in camber, or caster, seems excessive. Just wondering.

There are three things you are discussing; kingpin inclination, camber and caster.

What is an LF 5 degree spindle? This may sound like a dumb question to you, but humor me.

The reason I ask is, a 5 degree change in kingpin inclination seems like a lot, a 5 degree change in camber, or caster, seems excessive. Just wondering.

The axle is 5 degree's past 90 degree's to the spindle barrel, KPI is what it takes to get the desired camber, KPI doesnt change because the L blocks are different from spindle to spindle so they have to be matched, LF's come in 5 -7.5- and 10 degree, 10 was the standard for a long time, 5 degree can be run in high bite situations, 7.5 is the new standard, on the LF from 10 to 7.5 you have less mechanical weight jacking
The RF 10 was the standard but now 15 has replaced it, you have less mechanical weight jacking, less progressive camber gains
Its mostly do to the way chassis are designed today, they are designed to transfer weight easier, and use 3 tires instead of 2 like older models

Back