Spindle kingpin

Paul -- the green diagram shows non-parallel, unequal length a-arms...A kart is effectively a beam axle. The forces aren't shown because I didn't want the diagram complicated, and they're happening (effectively) at the Cg and contact patches.

...and a Bailey's Irish Creme would go well after snowblowing. Or leave the snow and put Hakapolita's on the kart.

99%20ice%20kart.jpg

By the way your hero Milliken built his camber car and was too dumb to realize caster was also a factor until he did>>> on track testing.

Quoting what was written about the car:

"the MX-1 initially had problems running in a straight line, it could corner at remarkably high speeds. The issues were sorted by adding more castor to the front and rear wheels."

The car:

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/img/44942/Milliken-MX-1--Camber-Car-.html

all for fun and argument. ... :)

"the MX-1 initially had problems running in a straight line, it could corner at remarkably high speeds. The issues were sorted by adding more castor to the front and rear wheels."
that sure grabbed my attention, what good would Castor do on the rear wheels? Were they steerable?

edit up front before posting. Hi Ted, I wrote the below with you in mind to make it easy for me, and to have something to relate to while writing. Though it's written as directed to you as criticism and arguments of what you expressed, ... its intent is to offer a general idea about how we see stuff and not to throw slings and arrows at you. We've read each other enough on here, that I think you can and will take it as not pointed directly at you. maybe a ricochet might get ya, but just let it glance off. ... :)

edit up front again, I could read through it re-writing it so it's in general or post it in a new thread and I probably should do that. But the football game went too long last night and with only one coffee yet, it just seems like too much work right now.

Ted I think your totally confused about roll centers and bicycling. Moving roll centers has nothing at all to do with weather or not a kart will bicycle. It's been pointed out time and time again on here, especially by Todd, that steering input in a well setup kart is minimal and basically insignificant. So often it is reported on here by drivers, about how they do not even turn the steering wheel. You point us to writers of books about suspended cars, those cars have one side exactly the same as the other, we do not race stuff like that. ... :)

I don't understand or have a clue how to determine the roll center and instant centers on a kart. My reference, and I think everyone else's reference on here, without being able to define the roll center is a gut feeling, from experience or as in my case and probably others a picture in your mind you can look at and get an idea of how stuff works. Beyond that all racers can do is either remember general things they do to change how things work out on the track, which is called experience; or write things down and gain a library of what to pick to do, to change how things work out on the track.

Beyond that neither you, nor I, nor anyone else can define where the roll center or instant center is located. You can't do that because by definition the location of the roll center, no matter how many stick drawings you put on, is defined by actual suspended chassis operation. You can't define the suspended chassis on a kart and that makes it impossible for you to define the karts roll center. I express often on here about how I look at things, in terms of how what is done works with a moving picture I have in my mind. I most always end with how I'm not necessairly right, because I realize all of what I see is only that, a mental picture I use for reference. When you tell us your incomplete stick drawings are about the way it is, IMHO your not telling us about the way it is; your only showing us a reference you use to understand something you cannot define.

If you can in practice find your karts roll center, please give us the process you use to do it. Please include all measurement points and forces involved which dictate the location of the roll center. ya know what I think my thoughts are telling me? maybe all this stuff is really just gut feeling and seat of the pants experience. Is my gut feeling or seat of the pants experience any better then anyone else's? Absolutely not and that's probably why I always have so many questions. I just don't know for sure, ever. ... :)

paul

edit at the back: To bring this bull back to the subject, I think the amount of split used is because that the amount of split which seems to work best for the situation. There usually is some and the amount is what works or is there.

Paul --
I am pretty sure that the top chassis designers for karting know where their roll centers, etc. are, but have also used an iterative design process -- taking what worked from before and carrying it forward while making educated changes for the next model.

I can indeed plot the roll centers for a kart, and for you to consider a kart "unsuspended" simply tells me that your mental picture of how a kart behaves differs radically from mine. Kart chassis "flex" is the suspension in a kart, combined with the tire's sidewall behavior.

As for bicycling, steering input can vary the roll center, but that's secondary. The fact that it's above ground is what makes the bicycling occur. Since it's above ground with both none, and some, steering input, karts will always have the ability to bicycle if their tires can generate enough grip to do so. If you want a simpler point of reference -- when you turn left, what direction does your upper body want to go? Your body force on the seat is what will cause the bicycling, so find a way to lower the Cg or lessen the force, and bicycling will happen "later."

For castor split, I'd run the left castor at the minimum required to get the appropriate jacking effect -- the more level you can run the tire, the better the distribution of wear and heat will be on the tread width....and on the right, I'd also run minimum required to allow for cross to work, keeping as much weight on LR as I could while still getting decent turn-in. So, I guess I'd run a low-split setup, experimentally derived.

This chassis, if developed further, would obsolete everything else out there, I think.

Attachments

• IMG950075.jpg
    IMG950075.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 63
wow, is that you and your chassis?

I'm humbled, way out classed, out of my league and think I need to do more sitting back to learn. nice picture

paul

I think maybe. My first thought was how about a torsion tube, from where the hand is on it out to close as you can get to the spindle? With very soft flexible tube mounting the spindle. Yes, I see the separation in the tube across the front, when offering the idea.

Paul -- That's Wayne Felch, and his very innovative and cool chassis. Here's another pic:

Attachments

• IMG950067.jpg
    IMG950067.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 69
Paul -- That's Wayne Felch, and his very innovative and cool chassis. Here's another pic:

WOW Ted your a great guy. I throw an idea out there and you go and have him change his kart, snap a pick and show me it, the same as I suggested. ... :)

thanks

ps... also looks like his second prototype got rid of the over lapping X tubes. Basically, IMHO the unpainted one appears to have moved more towards a conventional kart. I wonder if was because his painted one, just didn't work? If the unpainted one is a newer design, then your comment about it making other karts obsolete is not accurate.

WOW Ted your a great guy. I throw an idea out there and you go and have him change his kart, snap a pick and show me it, the same as I suggested. ... :)

thanks

ps... also looks like his second prototype got rid of the over lapping X tubes. Basically, IMHO the unpainted one appears to have moved more towards a conventional kart. I wonder if was because his painted one, just didn't work? If the unpainted one is a newer design, then your comment about it making other karts obsolete is not accurate.

He still runs the overlap X as far as I know. That design has a lot to do with getting the tube length a lot longer before it meets the support/wheel mounts. He did have a blade style torsion bar like you see on race cars that you can rotate to increase stiffness. He is a race car builder and designer after all. I have been playing with that type of idea since I saw it on my boss's race car years ago. IDK if Wayne still runs the blade style bar set-up. Whatever the case it looks to be a very soft chassis that has more options to manage and change dynamic weight transfer. Seems to run well with his twin taters.

thanks

If you look closely the bars still cross over, and had a bracket welded to each bar and something connecting the two either bolted or welded. But, to me it does not appear to just have both X bars welded together. The right side leading to the engine rails appear to be elevated, the left side rails leading to the seat area are not.

Paul,

Did you make it to the big UAS Championship at Liberty?
If so, you saw this kart in action.

I think it was Liberty I went to while at Charlotte. If it was Mark showed up too. Is the kart the Kevlar kart with the Wing on the back. If so I looked at it and took pictures, but sort of tried to stay at a distance, not knowing them and not wanting to anger anyone.

............ yep, just looked at my pictures. Sure wish I would have looked more closely at it. What especially impressed me with my quick look, was the cool way he mounted the wing. Heck, thinking about it now... he's bout as smart as One Eye, who I consider the smartest man in the world, after seeing his stuff. ... :)

ps... I didn't know Mark was going to show up and missed the feature, taking pictures, being a pain in the **********, watching for awhile and then heading back for the other lesser races.

I was at that race for a bit too, but left before the features...wonder if we passed in the pits... i had my 2 yr. old with me, so couldn't stay long.

Back