split crank question....

Al -- I can only modify "quoted" text, not the original...and yes, anyone could do so maliciously, but the only way to eliminate that possibility is to eliminate quoting... We all have to have a certain amount of trust here to make this forum thingy work. :)

Pete -- given equal precision, I'm unclear on why this method would be less accurate...the strength issue I can understand, and figured I'd need a slightly larger pin dia to regain, or perhaps a different material choice.

Hmm, I wonder if anyone's tried a carbon fiber conrod assembly with bonded aluminum inserts for the bearing areas yet...would reduce reciprocating weight...at astronomical cost, I'm sure. That would reduce pin loads, though...

I guess KISS concept is usually better. And more economical. As Colin Chapman said, "take simplicity, add lightness", when referring to racing design.

Ted, it graphite that you would need to make the rod from not carbon fibre. FWIW the graphite doesn't stand up well to high shock loads. If you want to save weight got to Ti or ceramic parts for pins and pistons or try some of the nascar or F1 metals. They are available and not to expensive comparatively but there are some metal treatments required after making the parts which still require a final grind after treatment on the critical dimension areas.

That's why a good set of rod bolts for a car race engine can cost $1600.

I guess KISS concept is usually better. And more economical. As Colin Chapman said, "take simplicity, add lightness", when referring to racing design.

Ted, that´s why some of Chapman´s designs failed or came appart with terrible results for his drivers. They were fast but very unreliable or even dangerous.

Just when you've seen it all and talked about it, you find an old magazine article that tells about the straight 8 engine in the orig. Mercedes 300 gull wing race cars, where the crank was assembled with a splined press fitted crank! What? how did they do that? 1953? Just to eliminate con. rods with bolt on big ends.

Rush but jack that was at a time when gas intruding and stuff like that wasn't around. Fwiw it can't have been to great or F1 would be using it today. Accuracy and rigidity/strength come to mind. All those splines create huge stress points for cracking to occur.

Back