Sprocket and clutch alignment issue

cup1981

OK, I was a car mechanic, so kart mechanics are new to me lol. So, I am installing a Ducar 211cc engine into a cadet cart, but the sprocket is a good 6-8" too far from the clutch (see image). I thought I could just move the sprocket, but it's keyed and there is no key on the part of the axle I need to move it to.

What on the world did I do wrong or do I need to swap the axle or find a different rear sprocket?

Attachments

• 1000017068.jpg
    1000017068.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 127
Replace the axle or take it to a machine shop and get it keyed. Also, you can run the clutch the way it is but most of us run it inboard, (chain to the inside).

Replace the axle or take it to a machine shop and get it keyed. Also, you can run the clutch the way it is but most of us run it inboard, (chain to the inside).
Oh, so I should flip the clutch too? I was wondering about that. I have to take it to a kart shop for a few adjustments, so I will see if they can modify the axle for me too. Thanks!

If I were to replace the axle, what would the proper axle be called that has the key inside the bearing cassettes? I have searched and can't seem to find the right one.

First thing . Take the axle out move the hub inside the bearing , where your going too need it . Put bearing back on . See how things are going to fit . From the picture the cross bar looks like it's going too be in the way .
That kart. Was originally a two stroke chassis . There may be more modifications ahead .

First thing . Take the axle out move the hub inside the bearing , where your going too need it . Put bearing back on . See how things are going to fit . From the picture the cross bar looks like it's going too be in the way .
That kart. Was originally a two stroke chassis . There may be more modifications ahead .
Ahhhh, crap. You're right the crossbar will be in the way. I just ordered the axle, so I will have to call some welders next week to see what the would charge to mod the crossbar so it's about 3 inches further forward. Thanks for catching that! :)

Last edited:
Ahhhh, crap. You're right the crossbar will be in the way. I just ordered the axle, so I will have to call some welders next week to see what the would charge to mod the crossbar so it's about 3 inches further forward. Thanks for catching that! :)
Move your engine left and it should fit with the new axle.

It is if , you have a 30 mm
Axle . With peg keys . Not square keys .
Otherwise you will need a set of peg keys .
Addendum.
That's a high priced axle.
Yeah, it's a 30mm with peg keys. So we are good there. Yeah, unfortunately it was the only inboard drive axle I could find. Hoping the high price means good quality too lol.

Gor a welder onboard to mod the crossbar too next week for $120. So about $350 total to convert it. Not bad considering how cheap I git the chassis for.

That engine is offset allot. Can you move it to the left? Try to get the clutch as close to the seat as you can with the chain guard on. Running the chain between the engine and clutch makes it safer but the chain has to clear the inner rail. All you had to do was drill two holes in the axle for a post key but they need to be done on a milling maching.

Last edited:
OK, I was a car mechanic, so kart mechanics are new to me lol. So, I am installing a Ducar 211cc engine into a cadet cart, but the sprocket is a good 6-8" too far from the clutch (see image). I thought I could just move the sprocket, but it's keyed and there is no key on the part of the axle I need to move it to.

What on the world did I do wrong or do I need to swap the axle or find a different rear sprocket?
i have never seen a sprocket on the outside of the bearing, it needs to be way on the other side of the bearing hanger like a normal kart

Kartboy, it's a 2-stroke chassis, which he's trying to adapt to a 4 stroke. That's why the rear cross bar is in the way. Most of the time you can manage to get it to work, BUT sometimes not.
FYI, to the best of my knowledge, all Euro chassis' come that way.

Back