Square left side

HammerDown62

If I square the left side of my 07 Icon, would I toe the right side in or out and how much. I run on a 1/5 mile dirt track with a little banking not much.

If I square the left side of my 07 Icon, would I toe the right side in or out and how much. I run on a 1/5 mile dirt track with a little banking not much.

You need to be sure you square it OUT. 1/16" is a very common setting. A few run 1/8" on very, very small tracks.

Good luck!

Why is it we now square our left sides and toe out the right, when we used to do the opposite.

thanks

either way works it is basically personal prefeerence, i toe out my left front so if i let go of steering wheel it turns left towards infield

either way works it is basically personal prefeerence, i toe out my left front so if i let go of steering wheel it turns left towards infield
Its not a personal preference thing. The kart will still go left with the RF toed out, no issue there.
There is a reason, and it has to do with scrub radius, among other things, PRC did a lot of testing and this is the proper way, RF toed out.

you typically use the accu toe laser but any alignment tool will suffice . then adjust left front to be straight and in line with the left rear.
move everything to the right side adjust as needed.

I know you should set your toe with the driver in the seat, but there's not always somebody around that can help. Has anybody done any testing to see what happens to toe when the driver sits in the kart? For example, if toe out increases by 1/16" when the driver gets in the kart, you could set it to square on the stand and have it be correct with the driver in the seat.

I know you should set your toe with the driver in the seat, but there's not always somebody around that can help. Has anybody done any testing to see what happens to toe when the driver sits in the kart? For example, if toe out increases by 1/16" when the driver gets in the kart, you could set it to square on the stand and have it be correct with the driver in the seat.

It will be way off without the driver in the seat, as is any adjustment that you are trying to make. Everything flexes some when you have a driver in the seat so I would assume that the heavier the driver, the more that the #'s will be off if you adjust without a driver in the seat

Definitely, definitely set it with someone in the kart.

Todd
www.dynamicsofspeed.com

i just still dont get how its better to toe out the right front bc the right front would be pointed a 16th out to the right and looks like it would want to pull to the right im still very confused i could see toeing the rf in a 16th but toeing it out just sounds odd to me

Think about it like this ...
If you set the kart up so that the right front is toe out 1/16" and the left front is square, then consider you turn the wheel to the left enough to where the right front is square, then the left front will be toe out 1/16" -- the same way you are used to thinking about it.

However, the tires are different size on the lh and rh, so the scrub radius is different. Evidently PRC has done testing to show which side you toe has an impact.

Last edited:
If you're having trouble with it, like I did at first, just think of it this way......which pair of tires weigh more? When going down the straights, if one tire has to be out of line, there will be less drag on the lighter side. Its not the exact answer for it, but it helps you remember better.

i just still dont get how its better to toe out the right front bc the right front would be pointed a 16th out to the right and looks like it would want to pull to the right im still very confused i could see toeing the rf in a 16th but toeing it out just sounds odd to me
I'm with you. I've never driven an LTO kart, but it seems to me that you would adjust your steering position driving down the straight to compensate for the drag on the right front.
Going down the straight, don't you already adjust your steering to the right to compensate for the rear stagger? This would cause the LF to toe in a little, and caused the RF to toe out even more, it seems to me, of course I don't really know. Is there any way to confirm this idea? Just wondering.

the larger tires will track straight with each other so no matter what side you toe out when on the track the left will always be toed out cause the right front is goining to run straight with the right rear

You got the explanation from the guy who designed the chassis. They have done extensive testing on towing out the RF and towing out the LF and towing the RF out created more speed with the Icon, Seraph, and the Triton. What more is there to know???? He isn't going to give the specific reason as to why it is because it is a competitive advantage over the other chassis. Who cares why it's faster? Heck if Todd told me to put the right side tires on the left side and the left side tires on the right side to create more speed I would if he had tested it and found it to create more speed.

It has been tested and proven to get you more speed, that is your answer

Back