Standing Start

Thought you knew me better than that Al. In my view, whether you are using inertia, or hydraulics on a dyno, you are calculating the torque value by way of pressure (which you are in fact measuring), or calculating it based on acceleration of a fixed mass. That's about as far down the rabbit hole as I'm willing to go :)
when you're using your torque wrench, tell me about the calculations you use.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

"The number of teeth on the clutch doesn't matter. As long as the clutch is slipping it peak torque, the gearing doesn't matter."

Whoa, careful now. You're answering a beginner so please don't say things that can get misconstrued. If gearing didn't matter then nobody would change gears (and companies wouldn't make so many sizes).

Gearing matters a lot - for best results you need to match it to your engine's torque curve... within best compromises of course. When your gearing is not optimized as best as possible you are wasting energy somewhere... usually as extra heat in the engine or the clutch.

I realize that in your answer about measuring the engagement r.p.m. of a clutch, the clutch will engage approximately at the same r.p.m. regardless of the gearing. But because the gearing effects the load on the clutch and engine it can actually effect the engagement r.p.m. somewhat. Enough to be able to measure using your method and the typical resolution of a bathroom scale? Perhaps not. But my concern is if the reader remembers "The number of teeth on the clutch doesn't matter. As long as the clutch is slipping it peak torque, the gearing doesn't matter" he may misapply that thought later.

But my concern is if the reader remembers "The number of teeth on the clutch doesn't matter. As long as the clutch is slipping it peak torque, the gearing doesn't matter" he may misapply that thought later.
I try my best, still, no matter the precision of my answers, there will be those that don't understand. On the other hand, not all my answers are as precision as I would like for them to be. Nobody, least of all me, can be right all the time.

There will be times, when the way you read it, (sometimes it's me, sometimes it's you) an answer can have different meanings. I try my best. Read my sig.

I try my best, still, no matter the precision of my answers, there will be those that don't understand. On the other hand, not all my answers are as precision as I would like for them to be. Nobody, least of all me, can be right all the time.

There will be times, when the way you read it, (sometimes it's me, sometimes it's you) an answer can have different meanings. I try my best. Read my sig.

Have to agree with you but if the answers is shorter and simpler i think even a dummy could understand .....ig. I say: 2+2= 4, you say: if you add 2 to 2 the answer would be 4 .........You tell me which looks easier to understand ..........Have no problem about the way you explain things sir i respect the way you do
what you do best .....

Back