Starting 6 year old in Kart Racing - New to karting

alexkartdad

We recently purchased a Panoz Pro chassis for our son to start racing with. It currently has the 6.5hp predator on it but i have ordered a complete box stock to bolt on.

It was recently setup for an adult driver but I need to convert it back to a junior kart. My question is regarding the seat install, I need to purchase a small rookie seat but when I look at the kart and frame, i am unsure what else i need to purchase to install the seat. I would suspect new struts but how do i know the correct way to install the junior seat.

I searched the web and tried to search the forums but I was not successful. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Alex- New karting dad

The front two mounting blocks should be ok and the Right side strut ya might have to get a longer left strut because of mounting seat to set up higher, possibly the right strut could be short as well, make sure everywhere the seat gets bolts there are rubber grommets over the bolts against the seat.
for a Rookie that small I would center front of seat to the steering post and have the rear center spline of the seat about 1/2" right of the break rotar,
I would set rear of seat top 11" off axle ( but at that young it has to be comfortable for him ) don't worry if it's higher, I would have bottom of seat slightly above the chassis tubing.
set the chassis on a flat table ( No tires, unless the table would be slotted for them or only goes under the chassis ) set the seat in place blocking it with wood or cardboard, mark holes I use a paint stick drill holes then bolt up however make sure holes are perfect do not twist or put seat in bind in anyway for bolts to line up, then just snug bolts up do not over tighten.

Where are you located? MIght be someone local that can help. I have a 6 year old in the same seat in a full size kart. It is tough to mount that small of a seat in a full size kart, then pedal risers and making custom brake and throttle linkages to fit them.

We are in Pensacola FL and plan on racing at Pensacola Kart Raceway and Gulf Coast Raceway in Foley, AL. I was noticing that the open area in the chassis seems very large for a smaller seat, Im wondering if longer struts will be needed or if something else needs to be used so it will fit. Luckily the kart has adjustable pedal positioning so we are pretty close to them fitting well.

1743635_10152001270561958_1830691070_n.jpg

Here's a pic of the chassis with the adult seat removed. The struts the are attached to the adult seat are quite small.

My son kart is an Icon, so the wiggy bar gives extra height without having to buy really long struts. I will try to get a picture to help you out on what we did.

We are in Pensacola FL and plan on racing at Pensacola Kart Raceway and Gulf Coast Raceway in Foley, AL. I was noticing that the open area in the chassis seems very large for a smaller seat, Im wondering if longer struts will be needed or if something else needs to be used so it will fit. Luckily the kart has adjustable pedal positioning so we are pretty close to them fitting well.

1743635_10152001270561958_1830691070_n.jpg

Here's a pic of the chassis with the adult seat removed. The struts the are attached to the adult seat are quite small.

Most likely your going to need longer strut supports, you will need pedal blocks for his feet, take that weight off the chassis tabs and put all weight on the seat look at picture below.

Good Luck !!

Back