Starting kids out on a budget

Leftturntim

This is our first kart and the wife has me on a tight budget to do this im looking at running a preditor motor to start out with what is the 79cc and 212cc comparable with as far as keeping up with the pack my boys are 10 and 6 and will be sharing the kart this season

Without knowing the type of track (dirt, paved, oval, road course) and the rules of the track, in a general sense the 212 Predator would be the engine most would consider between the two. I would definitely go to the track first, walk through the pits and ask racers a lot of questions. You will find most of them to be very helpful.

This is our first kart and the wife has me on a tight budget to do this im looking at running a preditor motor to start out with what is the 79cc and 212cc comparable with as far as keeping up with the pack my boys are 10 and 6 and will be sharing the kart this season

Where do ya live and where are ya racing it ?

Do your self a favor. If the track or tracks that you have in mind to run at, field the LO 206 engine program, this would put you in a more economical position for the future years to come. :)

Both Predator and LO206 programs are billed as "pull the cord and go" style programs where the focus on time spent on chassis setup and tires dominates vs. chasing .01's on engine parts. If you have a bunch of "honest gentlemen" then it's 6-of-one-half-dozen-of-the-other. From what I see locally, there's some skirting of the rules on the Predator side since there's less rigid (complete) specs, and it's non-sealed engine. That's starting to change as there's more teching and more local seals installed. Price attractiveness of the Predator can't be denied, but I wish I had LO206 local -- that would be my choice. More consistent from the source, and I just like the color orange. :)

Back