Stock animal questions

W5R

Can someone tell me what cam a WKA legal animal would have in it? Do they use a billet rod or stock rod?

We have an animal we just picked up in a buyout, has G.E.M stickers on it, was told it is a WKA blueprinted animal with less than 5 races on it, and it does appear to be fairly new. Am wanting to turn this engine into a mild open with a better cam, springs, and carb, so just wondering if the rod will need to be replaced also or if they already have a billet rod in them?

I would Just take the side cover off and look at the rod. I have seen a lot of engines that are supposed to be one thing and aren't even close.
Stickers are easy to come by.

It "might" have a billet rod in it, a WF rod in it, or it might have a stock rod in it. You won't know until you break it open.
For sure, if it's WKA legal, it will have a stock length rod in it -- if you are changing this engine into a mod animal, you will want to change the rod to a longer length rod anyhow. You will change at least the rod, piston, wrist pin, cam, and valve springs. Beyond that, it's up to you as to the level that you want the engine modified.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
27 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Planning on a Clements flatslide 28mm carb, 356 cam and dual springs, and a bigger piston...if the rod is already a billet rod ill most likely just leave it as is, not going to dump a ton of money into this engine since I already have one open animal, this will just be a backup. How much cfm do these heads flow from the factory, and how much can they be made to flow with port work? 32/28mm valves big enough for a 28mm carb and 356 cam?

Back