Stripped hub

Sdc96

Has anyone heard of a oversized stud for a front hub that has the threads stripped out or if a 1/4 28 could be drilled out and a press in work in its place

I wouldn't think a 'press-in' application will last very long in a case like this. The easist/best thing 2do wud be to purchase a new/used hub.

I've put heli coils in before. And they do have 5/16ths studs but then your going to have to drill out your wheels.

I've put heli coils in before. And they do have 5/16ths studs but then your going to have to drill out your wheels.
I was thinking 'that' but didn't want too go-there becuz of the 'wheel' issue. However, (I don't have 1/4" Heli-Coil data) the 1/4-28 heli-coil 'insert' tap size 'maybe' compatable w/restoration of the 1/4-28 stud...IDK!

I was thinking 'that' but didn't want too go-there becuz of the 'wheel' issue. However, (I don't have 1/4" Heli-Coil data) the 1/4-28 heli-coil 'insert' tap size 'maybe' compatable w/restoration of the 1/4-28 stud...IDK!

I bought the heli coils and tap from Fastnel. The tap was a larger size just don't remember the size. Haven't had to use it in a while, cross my fingers.

The tap is a larger size, pretty sure it's 11/64 drill bit to blow the old crappy threads out then tap and run heli coil in. I got my kit from advanced auto parts comes with all necessary tools minus drill bit

Drilling the wheels is not an issue since the wheel does not locate off the studs. 5/16-24 is the way to go.

Turk brothers at trbwins.com sells the front hubs with bearings for $11.00. Bought them before. It's easier than trying to fix one.

I run quite a bit drilled out 5/16ths wheels on 1/4" studs and sometimes have issues with the wheel nuts backing out. They are rims left over from when my girlfriend ran dirt nationals back in 2007 so shes been running them at the local friday night track, came in from the heat the other week and the right rear had two nuts about 2 threads from falling off and the third was finger tight, i cranked them on good before hand with a brand new 12v DeWalt impact. Just some food for thought.

Buying new hubs is the best way to go, but I have some that have 2 sets of threaded holes, 1/4-28 and 5/16-18 or -24, you need to do all your studs/bolts, with red Lock-Tite, #271. I also run only 5/16" because they are a lot harder to break than 1/4", also coarse thread because they tend to not cross thread like fine thd. does. If you have a problem with drilled wheels and 1/4" studs, just add another flat washer on each.

Back