Surfacing tires question

bullerman

Does it make any difference if you surface tires rolling forwards or backwards as long as they roll the same way while they are being surfaced.

And be careful of the size towel you use for that final clean, If it a pretty big towel make sure the tail doesn't get caught up in the pully.
And use an Apron and tie it shut so it's snug everywhere.

Fwiw, I have mine on a sewing machine pedal. So if anything were to go wrong, youll automatically react and be off the pedal without having to think about it. Much better than trying to slap a switch or pull a plug while being wrapped up

Thanks for the answers and suggestions.
Some suggestions on how to do it. I have a belt sander, just got me a new variable speed 7" angle grinder and have different grades of sand paper. Have been using windex as a coolant.
I see racing promoter says use a big towel. I assume that's a final wipe. I really need to get all I can out of the tires I have. Don't have a huge selection. Have a good set of white vegas and a good set of pinks and blues. Krug has been used on them so I will stick with that. Just need to figure out the best way to use it.

Thanks for the answers and suggestions.
Some suggestions on how to do it. I have a belt sander, just got me a new variable speed 7" angle grinder and have different grades of sand paper. Have been using windex as a coolant.
I see racing promoter says use a big towel. I assume that's a final wipe. I really need to get all I can out of the tires I have. Don't have a huge selection. Have a good set of white vegas and a good set of pinks and blues. Krug has been used on them so I will stick with that. Just need to figure out the best way to use it.
Don't really matter what size you use I like it big enough to fold over a few times, plus a heavier thicker towel so I can put real good down pressure on the towel because yes it's for when your done grinding spray the tire good and that is the final clean and it actually appears to polish it off as well , So I just pointed out if you use a longer towel be aware of where the xtra length hangs so it doesn't wrap up in any part of the machine turning .

If you are using a belt sander (or grinder for that matter,) you'll want the tire (top) spinning away from you while you sand.
Instead of a towel, I use a car wash scrub brush that has plastic bristles and a handle so I can brush away all the crumbs and dust of rubber while the tire is spinning. I then blow it off with an airline and blow nozzle. Tires come out spotless (no dust, lint, etc,) and ready for prep.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
35 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com