Switching Oils?

Dryslick13

Buying a used LO206. He used Redline 30 weight. I don't have a good source for that and have been using Amsoil 4t b&s stuff in our other engine. Anyone know if it would be safe to switch? Will it mix OK? Don't want to fry a 3 hour old engine :rolleyes:

I'd get with Carlson Motorsports on this one, 765-339-4407..Not at this hour of course but 2morrow, I'm sure he can help you... Jimbo on here is also good to get with for LO206 info:)... Me Briggs 4T only also in my 206...

The Red line and Amsoill are compatible. Drain while warm change oil and redo your first change fairly soon you won't have a problem.

Just drain oil hot. Fill back up with 16 oz of Briggs 4t and then let it idle for 10 min. Don't rev it up. And then drain it hot and it wi flush out any left over oil. And then refill wth the amount of oil h want to run. I know some oils foam when u mix them. And this was always the way I was told to switch oils. It prevents foaming. But have heard if h rev it up it can cause foam. Never seen it or anything like it. But I always wanted to be safe. This is how I did it when we switched from royal purple to Amsoil and both engines still run great.

It has more to do with the base stock type not mixing. Redline and Amsoil are petroleum base they are compatible.

It has more to do with the base stock type not mixing. Redline and Amsoil are petroleum base they are compatible.
I thought Amsoil's big selling point is they are not a petroleum based oil. I thought they said they were using PAO base stock?

I have used About every brand of oil over the years . Truth is there are many good oils out there . Many Races have been won by many racers who feel there oil is/was the best there is .. With all the races we won, all the track records we set and all the podiums weve earned this year its my opinion the Briggs / Ames oil is one of the best . It worked for us . y

I thought Amsoil's big selling point is they are not a petroleum based oil. I thought they said they were using PAO base stock?
Jamie I may have misrepresented the product, I should have said in my experience Amsoil is compatible with Petroleum products. From AmSoil FAQ: A. AMSOIL synthetic motor oils are compatible with other conventional and synthetic motor oils. Mixing AMSOIL motor oils with other oils, however, will shorten the oil’s life expectancy and reduce the performance benefits. AMSOIL does not support extended drain intervals where oils have been mixed. Mixing other oils with AMSOIL motor oils may also void the AMSOIL limited warranty. B. AMSOIL maintains formulation details as proprietary and does not divulge specifics regarding the type of synthetic base stocks used in its synthetic lubricants. AMSOIL developed the world’s first API-qualified synthetic motor oil in 1972 and has remained the leader in the synthetic lubricant industry by continually researching new technologies and demanding only the highest-quality raw materials. As the company moves forward with new technologies it is increasingly more important that this information remains proprietary. AMSOIL views synthetic base oils the same as it views additives, with each having its own set of unique properties. AMSOIL does not insist on a particular type of base stock, but insists on particular performance parameters. AMSOIL chooses whichever synthetic base stock or combination of base stocks delivers the desired result and tailors its lubricants to be application-specific (gasoline, diesel, racing, transmission, gear, extended drain, extreme temperatures, etc.). At the end of the day, the type of base stock used to formulate the oil is inconsequential; the product’s performance is what matters.

I did learn during my last sit down with a lubrication expert(engineer) most products now labeled as synthetic are petroleum base stock super refined. As we learned through the 7and 80'2 synthetic was laboratory bred and born, that is not true today. I would assume with the cost of petroleum products this year no company is using anything but crude.

^
so....does Amsoil consider it "ok" to use their oil in conjunction with the synthetic PAG based oils that are so common in karting today?
I think NOT!

Anymore, I flush every engine that comes through our doors and recommend that racers do the same if they plan on changing oils (ANY oils) since I'm so gun-shy of compatibility problems that DO exist.
When we dyno an engine for a customer, I am more careful than ever to ask what oil they are using to race with, and use THAT oil to break their engine in and make pulls on the dyno (with few exceptions.) If it's an oil that I do not regularly stock or can't get ahold of easily, then I have the customer provide their oil for dynoing. Pretty inconvenient, but the results are worth the effort by far.

Thanks,
Brian Carlson
CarlsonMotorsports.com
765-339-4407

Anymore, I flush every engine that comes through our doors and recommend that racers do the same if they plan on changing oils (ANY oils) since I'm so gun-shy of compatibility problems that DO exist.
When we dyno an engine for a customer, I am more careful than ever to ask what oil they are using to race with, and use THAT oil to break their engine in and make pulls on the dyno (with few exceptions.) If it's an oil that I do not regularly stock or can't get ahold of easily, then I have the customer provide their oil for dynoing. Pretty inconvenient, but the results are worth the effort by far.

That is some very good advise there boys!

As all oil companies continue to make vast improvements in base stocks due to the cost you will be hard pressed to find a "true" synthetic oil now (except for PAG :) ). The group III and group IV's with additives produced today meet and/or exceed what true synthetics did years ago. At one time Amsoil marketed that it was the only true PAO basestock oil company. They had this on all oil bottles, packages, and flyers. Now, like Mobil and others that were once true synthetics they have found they can go with a "better" petroleum base or a petroleum/synthetic blend and still get good protection at low cost.

With "blended" oils it's easier for oils to mix, but as Brian said above, karting engines are still VERY sensitive to oil type changes and you should take the precautions as he stated.

Redline is a good oil and is available by mail order. Maybe just order a gallon or a case of it and go for it.

Back