Tecumseh Motorsports help

Mac_49

Found this "gem" for cheap so I figured why not. Never touched a Tecumseh before but figured I might as well get a rebuild under my belt with this brand of motor :D
Can't find very many markings besides the ones in the pic but I'm sure someone will know what it's all about. I'd "assume" they're pretty comparable to a Briggs rebuild but what about parts? Aftermarket/performance?
Anything special I need to know about these particular motors before I dig in and start the rebuild process?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks

image_zpsbz6qu11d.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

image_zpsslgdvxnk.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

It looks like a early H50 controlled stock motor. I have a later one and it came with a special 1" journal crank and a billet rod, stainless valves, strong springs, alloy retainers with split keepers, a tillotson 365B gas carb, and special cam. They were very fast at the end. You can pull the side cover and see if it has the billet rod. I think the early ones said clements on it and the later ones Tecumseh.

PICT0363_zpsxnzlhyzn.jpg

PICT0341_zpsybgovudw.jpg
PICT0342_zpsaeykdxt7.jpg

Last edited:
Mike at VKE. 303 371-5427 Aurora CO. The Best.

I'll have to check them out...took a quick little look at their website...parts for these seem to be a bit pricey to take a chance screwing it up...might have to just have Mike do a build on it instead.
Thanks for the info!

It looks like a early H50 controlled stock motor. I have a later one and it came with a special 1" journal crank and a billet rod, stainless valves, strong springs, alloy retainers with split keepers, a tillotson 365B gas carb, and special cam. They were very fast at the end. You can pull the side cover and see if it has the billet rod. I think the early ones said clements on it and the later ones Tecumseh.

Thanks for the info! The guy that had it before said it was a yard kart motor...hopefully can bring it back to life and make it useful again.

Ugh -- just did one of these for a good customer that was sitting on a brand new one.
Yes, they are a fast engine once you get everything together right for it.
VKE didn't have much for these engines any more -- he's still got some 10HP Star stuff that crosses over though.
We had to custom make several items for this build project - it was not a plug and play deal at all. :)

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
28 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I have a brand new red one, less carb in the original Tecumseh shipping box. Mike Clements had the Motorsports Division ship it to me back in the early 90's for the Marshalltown, Ia Sprint Nationals. He sent me two, but I am not sure what we did with the other one. I just looked at it yesterday for the first time since I received it. Not sure what it is worth, but I would sell it reasonably. Let me know if you would like photos. CMac

I have a brand new red one, less carb in the original Tecumseh shipping box. Mike Clements had the Motorsports Division ship it to me back in the early 90's for the Marshalltown, Ia Sprint Nationals. He sent me two, but I am not sure what we did with the other one. I just looked at it yesterday for the first time since I received it. Not sure what it is worth, but I would sell it reasonably. Let me know if you would like photos. CMac
Thank you CMac!

Sorry, I sold it a long time ago. Thanks for your interest.
Cmac that was me that bought that! I's just sayin Thank you again! She's being built into a Open Modified with help from Friends! I bought another for friends and family to rip around at the local Kart Track Open Wednesdays 2 miles down the road from my house. For that engine I was asking Ponytl if he still had the Header that came with of those engines

Is this a 10HP Star ?

Back