Temp

Over the years I've heard it both ways. I think more people feel it does then don't. I put together a spreadsheet that shows all the various things you need to check when you have the temps.

Reading tire temps is an art more than a science. You should be aware of that. You build a database based on what you record with your tires and your kart and your driving and your prep. Knowing the lap times, and the condition of the track, are paramount in your analysis of the data. I think you'll find that for the first dozen races tire temps will tell you nothing of significance. It's the accumulation of the data, and your analysis of that data, that's important.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

I tried doing the tire temp reading thing on burriss tires with a inferred temp gun. The temp was lower than I expected it. I think the video Harrel wiggins does he makes it look more affective than it really is. I tried solo on setting my kart up at the beginning of the season by using the tire temp. I found after doing it a couple of races I was so far out in left field I wasn;t even in the same race as my competitors. I have went back doing what I know that works with my chassis and how I drive and setting my chassis up by the way it fills and my results have been much-much better.

We use tire temps, we use the longacre. We just use to tweek in the kart, but you have to be fairly close on the right tire before you start making changes. If you are not even close on the tire, you will just be working your self to death, also you have to know what you are looking for as far as temps/ balance. We have been using sence the Nemisis days.

I found after doing it a couple of races I was so far out in left field I wasn;t even in the same race as my competitors.
and even though there are many many people that swear by checking tire temps, you discount it based on your personal experience. Logic would have told me, I must be doing something wrong. With so many people attesting to the benefits of reading tire temps, you have to believe they can't all be wrong.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

Back