The New "Do it yourself prep"

12xracer

I am going to attempt to prep my own tires this year in order to save money. I've run asphalt pretty much exclusively in order to avoid the tire prepping debacles. My question is what's your process? For this thread, I am not really looking for what chemicals or products you use, as much as the physical steps. My initial questions are: do I need a hotbox, or can I get away with a roller for the time being? Inside vs outside prep? Time? When to do what? Thanks for your help in advance.

Hotbox if budget allows, inside AND outside prep, and always keep goat in the trailer. Tires are better if prepped early in the week, if not before. You're really better off hooking up with a prep guy. Big names in your area like Mullis, Nall, Knopf, etc. didn't get all those wins by being stupid. Keeping your program as simple as possible saves money as well as limits unnecessary mistakes.

Hotbox if budget allows, inside AND outside prep, and always keep goat in the trailer. Tires are better if prepped early in the week, if not before. You're really better off hooking up with a prep guy. Big names in your area like Mullis, Nall, Knopf, etc. didn't get all those wins by being stupid. Keeping your program as simple as possible saves money as well as limits unnecessary mistakes.

Much before in most cases.

What tires are you going to run? That will make a difference also as to how early you should start prepping. In this tire games their are many, I will repeat, many variables to consider for preparing a tire. ONEHARDHEAD gave good advice when he suggested to hook up with good tire guy.
My recommendation is to call, email, or pm Earl at Southern Comforfort Tire Treatment and to talk to him about your program. He has been helped me more than he would ever know. Sure, a person can learn this tire game on his/her own with no outside help, but it would take many, many years and cases of ruined tires to get their. Something else I see all the time is new racers taking advice from anyone and everyone that will offer it, this is sometimes worst than not getting any advice at all and learning on your own. Earl has a reputation of being one of the best tire guys in our sport and he is willing to offer you advice that will not have you running in circles and becoming frustrated.

Earl is always quick to help here on Bob's with advice from years of experience. There are other, lesser-known guys in the original poster's area that do a great job, especially at the local level. Names like Dave Richer and Frankie Staley help local racers with tires without spending a fortune.

Earl is always quick to help here on Bob's with advice from years of experience. There are other, lesser-known guys in the original poster's area that do a great job, especially at the local level. Names like Dave Richer and Frankie Staley help local racers with tires without spending a fortune.

Dave Richer is actually a bit closer to him, if he wanted a more hands on approach.
But thanks to everyone for the nice words!

Back