Throttle Stick

Yup had the 2cycle "run away" thing happen last summer... pulled into the shut off area after a race, tried my kill switch and even pulled the plug wire, motor kept revving up, finally somebody put their hands around the air filter to choke it down...ran it too lean, sure the piston and cylinder were red hot...acting like a glow plug....hope that never happens ever again...😵

a ignition kill will not shut off a runaway 2 cycle.. the motor will act like a model glow engine.. have had this happen twice on dyne, once on track.. I used a nos solenoid fuel shutoff, with Lipo battery.. on dyno, I didn't use filter and kept a plastic bag in my pocket... if you blow out a seal, bag doesn't work so well.. fuel shutoff, takes a few seconds to fuel lock...

Mike, were you running dual carbs with the shutoff solenoid? This is something I would be willing to try. But I’ve been running my dual carbs with individual feeds from the tank. I’m guessing you were just using a Y from the solenoid?

Back in the 90's, I had rebuilt my slide carb and I always put a zip tie around the body of the carb and slide for safety measure. Well the first time I forgot, during hot laps the screws back out and let the slide fall out. Immediate full throttle, people say the mini lite is not a good brake system for opens but it stopped me that day!!

Back